PDA

View Full Version : Worms I think - I need some metro

TomNS
Sun May 21, 2006, 12:15 AM
Hi guys,

I have had a bad couple of days lost two discus with headstanding
after I treated the tank for worms with Sterazin - recommended by two places that sell discus around here - I wanted metro but they said to give this a go first.

Anyway I have treated the tank as per instructions and I still have 3 discs that are darker (the look a bit better today but are still not good)
and they are still not eating haven't eaten for nearly a week now - the rest of the tank (I have 9 discs now :( in a 125G) are all ok and eating well.

So do you think I need metro if so do I just ring a vet off the list as speak them about it ? Should I just ring up and ask for it or what is the go ?

Thanks guys

Tom

HAN 'd' Aquariums
Sun May 21, 2006, 12:43 AM
Hi Tom,
It certainly wont hurt to ring a vet and have them on standby if one of the more experienced forum members thinks will help.
In the mean time, I would suggest doing a 50% water change using water ager (de-chlorinator) and water conditioner.

It would be helpful if you could post the water parameters of your tank – this will help other Forum Members to assist you. If you do not have these test kits, your Local Fish Shop should be able to perform these tests for you.

Ph
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Gh
Kh
Temp

It would also be easier for other Forum Members to assist you if you could answer the following questions.

What are the dimensions of your tank?
How long has your tank and filter been in operation?
How long have you had your discus?
What age are your discus?
What and how many other occupants are in your tank?
What sort of filtration do you run on your tank (litres per hr)?
Is your tank a planted tank with gravel or bare bottom?
What sort of decorations are in your tank?
How often do you do a water change (gravel clean)?
How much water do you change?
What additives do you put into your new water?
What are you feeding your discus?
How many times a day do you feed your discus?
What colour are your discus droppings?

If you can include a picture, that would also be a big help.

Heidi

G-1000
Sun May 21, 2006, 09:17 AM
I would dose with metro immediately

You will need 250mg for every 40L of tank water.

Procedure:

1) 30% w/c.
2) Dose with metro @ above concentration.
3) After 12 hours - 30% w/c and re-dose the entire tank (not just the water you have replaced)
4) Repeat step 3 every 12 hours for 5 days..

G

Dee
Tue May 23, 2006, 10:48 AM
Hi TomNS,

Firstly, Metro isn't not used for worms IMO, it is used for intestinal flageletes generally, can also be used in the treatment of Velvet (external flageletes).

Secondly, IMO if the fish is not eating I would personally go for a 400mg/40L Metro bath treatment, follow the same treament G1000 outlined using 400mg instead of 250mg. Just my opinion :)

Best of luck getting these guys back on thier feet.

Cheers,

Dee.

TomNS
Wed May 24, 2006, 07:33 AM
hi guys,

following up - I thought the problem might be worms and I realise I have written the wrong thing there but I treated with big L pig and poultry wormer but have had no success.

One fish is clearly in distress and has an very inflamed gill and is scraping agains things - gussing gill flukes - was going to try aquamaster gill fluke tablets - where can I get them in brisbane ?

two others are in very bad shape wasted looking faces and really red gills - should I still treat with metro or just treat for gill flukes and see how it goes

I am about to attach some pics

Tom

TomNS
Wed May 24, 2006, 07:41 AM
photos some are poor quality - I will keep trying sorry here is what I have so far,

I have 9 of them in my 125g 6"x2"x2" - they are a bit lively to catch and put in hospital - don't want to over stress but I will have to move them soon for whatever treatment you guys recommend.

The other is a single in a 60L hospital tank

TomNS
Wed May 24, 2006, 07:59 AM
last one for now.

I have had this setup since december - previously I had one disc in an 80L and bought a stack of tiny 5c piece size babies, these are them and I have lost two already to this - the one here looks like he won't make it through tomorrow. The 125g is well established has a 1800Lp/H canister and a 2' sump both running bioballs and aquaclay. There is also a smallish FBF filter with UV attached running to polish up the water that is disconnected at the moment

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
ph between 6 and 6.4

just testing the GH and KH now
Tom

G-1000
Sat May 27, 2006, 06:50 AM
Tom -

You have a pretty definite case of gill flukes there for sure.

Check your ammonia again, then add a couple of airstones to the water (you want to give as much oxygen as possible).

Run a course of aquamaster gill fluke tabs like you were going to, I would then run another course a week after too (i.e these fish look pretty advanced in terms of the gill flukes).

They dont look too dark atm - i.e metro not needed just yet.

G