PDA

View Full Version : newbie questions

foodlesticks
Sat May 20, 2006, 11:38 AM
Intend to keep and breed discus at home. How many fish could i keep in my 120 litre tank? i know the tapwater in this area is far too hard and alkaline for these fish to thrive. However i am unsure of the different ways of treating the tapwater to suit these wonderful fish. Could you please outline a variety of methods of adjusting the water, ranging from the simple and cheap to the highly technical and expensive? Also i heard that fish produce waste - what are my options for keeping the water quality good?

thank you in advance for your valued advice

taksan
Sat May 20, 2006, 11:45 AM
How many fish could i keep in my 120 litre tank?

2 Adult discus

"Could you please outline a variety of methods of adjusting the water, ranging from the simple and cheap to the highly technical and expensive?"

PLenty of Buffers are available to treat and soften water I prefer the Seachem range. Otherwise the use of a R/o unit and chemical to treat the water is preffered.

"Also i heard that fish produce waste - what are my options for keeping the water quality good?"

At least 2 50% WC's per week plus use a good quality filter

foodlesticks
Sat May 20, 2006, 11:53 AM
how does RO soften the water?

taksan
Sat May 20, 2006, 12:42 PM
Thats a complicated and techincal area but basicaly it filters out the minerals and elements in water that cause TDS or Hardness
A quick google search would give you enough info