PDA

View Full Version : clown fish?

bballer
Fri May 19, 2006, 06:50 AM
hi im very new to this and i was just woundering if you can have clown fish with discus

Nathan
Fri May 19, 2006, 07:05 AM
hey welcome mate, ive learned so much from this forum and everyone is really friednly and helpful.

the clown fish needs salt water where as discus need freshwater, and if you put them in the wrong water they would be dead in minutes. but there are plenty of other really beautiful fish you can put with discus, my favourite would be the blue rams, ive always loved them.

anyway hope that helps and keep asking tons of questions everyone will help!

wickedglass
Fri May 19, 2006, 07:18 AM
what kind of clown fish are you talking about? the kind that hangs out in an anemone? there's also different kinds of clowns in fresh water, such as clown loaches or the clown peckoltia (aka clown pleco). in the case of the anemone clown fish, Nathan is completely right, they are marine fish and can't be kept with discus. the clown loach on the other hand is a freshwater fish, however they have cheek spines which may damage their tank mates, and they tend to be busy customers ... most people wouldn't recommend those for discus either. the clown pleco on the other hand is peaceful, and not aggressive towards other species, but may show some aggression towards species similar to itself. there's other freshwater species designated as "clown" but I can't think of them off the top of my headright now ... check google, and I'm sure you'll come up with something ;)

rytis
Sun May 28, 2006, 04:10 AM
i keep them together occasionaly, but not too good an idea because clowns like to stir up the bottom making a mess, other then that its ok. clowns like to dig...

samir
Sun May 28, 2006, 04:30 AM
maybe a pakistani loach would be perfect here's a pic.