PDA

View Full Version : Apistogrammas vs Apistogrammas

foo
Mon May 15, 2006, 03:48 AM
hello everyone,

heheehehe i didnt know what to put as the title so bear with me...
I just bought a pair of A. Pandurinis and currently thinking of putting them with my Inka 50s and A. pucallpaensis.... Is that a wise option or not?? Or should I keep them with my discus at temperature of 27°....

Has anyone had any luck in keeping all three together?? in a 2ft?? or better to seperate the pandurinis??

Pete

catfishbone
Mon May 15, 2006, 04:14 AM
Hey Pete ...

didn't know you getting A.pucallpaensis ... did your miss know ??? hahahha :)
and now you have A.pandurini ... well well well ... uhmm ...

anyway ... i used to have one A.panduroi too but then he got bashed up badly with either my trifasciata or pucallpaensis ... but i suspect it was my trifasciata ...

according to some other forum ... it is said that panduro is the most aggressive out of all apistogramma ... :)

so not sure abt this ... anyway panduro has gopne to better place ... :(

andrie

Th0mas
Mon May 15, 2006, 04:59 AM
Hey Pete ...

didn't know you getting A.pucallpaensis ... did your miss know ??? hahahha :)
and now you have A.pandurini ... well well well ... uhmm ...

anyway ... i used to have one A.panduroi too but then he got bashed up badly with either my trifasciata or pucallpaensis ... but i suspect it was my trifasciata ...

according to some other forum ... it is said that panduro is the most aggressive out of all apistogramma ... :)

so not sure abt this ... anyway panduro has gopne to better place ... :(

andrie

Yeah - that's me suggesting the panduro is agressive.

I've taken another 2 pair, and toss them into the tank where an existing pair is hosting (the same tank has 7 veijita, 3 Inka, 3 bitaeniata and 2 aggie) and no problem with fish being beaten to death. That has happened with my other tank where I've placed the newly aquired pair of sp. "Rio Mamore" with bitaeniata "Peru Kleei", where the female bitaeniata has got beaten to death by the 2 males (of different species).

As long as there's enough to share the agression, all will even out. In my case, the Inka is a bit of a nut where they'll try to pick on the panduro which are bigger and more aggressive (and get chase back).

I've got my pucallpaensis in a seperate setup, and have had trifasciata together with them for a while without any sign of agression from either species. Now I've moved the trifasciata with the macmasteri and still don't see any agression problem between the two species (only occassional standoff for food).

Thomas.

foo
Mon May 15, 2006, 05:35 AM
Yoo Andrie...
hehehee...sshhhh... she doesnt know yet... or havent realised the increase number of fish in the tank yet... hehehehe.... :lol:

I would think that the Pucallpaensis would be the chi hua hua of the lot... i see my inka 50 :twisted: as a jack russell that runs around chasing anything that moves and my pandurini as a bull terrier that just bites back... and chases everything that moves... hehehehehe

Heyy Thomas...

Its so true that the Inka 50s just want to chase everything in the tank OUT of the tank... but surprisingly... they seem to not bother the little pucallpaensis too much... maybe theres just no challenge in fighting with a Pucallpaensis... but i got tetras in there to distract them from chasing tooo much... hopefully that works...

At the moment... the male Pandurini is stating its heirachy in the tank but the dominant female Inka 50 is standing up to the male pandurini... I just hope none of them die from fighting...

catfishbone
Mon May 15, 2006, 05:56 AM
hey pete ... no worries ... as long as she's not in this forum you are safe ... hahahaha :lol: but i doubt it that she's in this forum .... :lol:

just wish that she hardly look at that tank and the next time she realise it then just act dumb ... pretend that they raised some fry ... hahahah :lol:

am not sure how big pucallpaensis can grow ... mine is just like tiny little thing ... doesn't seem to grow a lot .... hahahha :)

andrie

fishgeek
Mon May 15, 2006, 06:49 AM
i would have thought 3 pairs of any apisto's in a 2ft was too many
they certainly will not be able to claim a territory and allow the other fish room to escape

either all fish will be constantly stressed with low level aggression spread around
or 1 fish will manage to claim a terrotory and the others will all suffer

i think you are asking to lose fish by mixing them all in such a small tank

panduro and baenschi(inka) will likely fight more being from the same group/complex

andrew

Th0mas
Mon May 15, 2006, 08:11 AM
Those of mind are host in a 3 ft heavily planted tank. So the fish can escape from one and another (as well as my net :evil:) easily.

Thomas.

foo
Wed May 17, 2006, 05:55 AM
It was a concern of mine that maybe housing 3 pairs would be overcrowding a 2ft tank... I do have it planted heavily and plenty of driftwood ... but i still feel that 4 apistogrammas would be close to maximum capacity...

I think we tend to take foregranted due to their size... and not consider the behaviour characteristics of the fish... I have seperated the A. Pandurinis into the main display tank... Had to gradually lower the temperature to suit both discus and pandurinis though....

Pete

parkap
Wed May 17, 2006, 06:20 AM
Ahh, trying to net fish. The nemesis of the aqua scape / planted tank hobbyist.

fishgeek
Wed May 17, 2006, 06:51 AM
foo can you have another tank?
the panduro will not be long lived at higher discus temperatures

even if it is only a small one that you occasionally swap them to with the same water as the discus tank at a lower temperature

andrew