PDA

View Full Version : HELP !! White Little Worms in my tank.

XPLOSV
Sat May 13, 2006, 02:50 PM
As topic, these worms are all over in my tank.

its been 4-5days since I check the tank, I have been dropping little pieces of bh every day befor off to work. now when I just got back had a good look at the tank its full of this pest little white worm.

Im freeking out...!!! Please help

I am plaining to bleach the tank and leave it for 1week o so..

any suggestion ? please help

Ken

nicholas76
Sat May 13, 2006, 02:54 PM
Ken,

take a deep breath mate and stress less.

Can you please provide a photo so we can determine what it is

again it sounds like planeria however a pic would be great.

XPLOSV
Sat May 13, 2006, 03:01 PM
nicholas76,

Thanks for your reply.

Photo will be post in the morning, Im not sure where it is.

Cheers
Ken

XPLOSV
Sat May 13, 2006, 03:04 PM
http://naturalaquariums.com/inverts/planaria2.jpg

I think it is planeria...what ever that is?

nicholas76
Sat May 13, 2006, 03:09 PM
lady red will confimr this for us

however for your immediate information

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=planaria&spell=1

click on that mate!

if it is its non parasitic ,, it wont harm your fish..

XPLOSV
Sat May 13, 2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks again nicholas76,

It seem these lil pest has multiply x10000 in 1hour or so?

This is freeking me out......

I have remove the all fish into a seperate tanks,

I think this will spread.......

samir
Sun May 14, 2006, 12:35 AM
you're probably "freeking" the fish out more by moving them all around the place. they are harmless. you've likely been overfeeding. clean the walls of the tank and check if you fish are eating everything you're feeding them. if they waste any , feed a bit less.

wickedglass
Sun May 14, 2006, 12:55 AM
sorry to say, but they may not be harmless. I lost a whole tank of fish to these little guys, because they had a population explosion and I was too kind hearted and overfed coz I was not home for a few days. A dose of salt ended up getting rid of them, but not before I lost 20 discus, a heap of tetras and a bunch of other fish (about $500 or so in total). The only fish that survived were 3 catfish :(
so before you bleach, try salt, and make sure you dump it in, because the rapid osmotic change will explode these little suckers!

XPLOSV
Sun May 14, 2006, 01:26 AM
Thanks alot for the advise guys.

wickedglass : sorry to hear that...

The fish are still eating the other tank, soo looking good so far (not freeking out).

Since the fish have live with these pest for 1-2 days, do you think they would have this lil worms in them?

nicholas76
Sun May 14, 2006, 02:44 AM
it could be dangerous but you are talking about a severe worm explosion!

hows this food for thought! these buggers come out of my tap water! Thats whyi drink filtered water now lol

XPLOSV
Sun May 14, 2006, 04:48 AM

hows this food for thought! these buggers come out of my tap water! Thats whyi drink filtered water now lol

Should I worm them anyways?

Are you serious these dam pest come from TAP water too... OMG :shock:

Well Im at work at the moment... thinking how my discus are doing :?

nicholas76
Sun May 14, 2006, 05:07 AM
ive had them in my water for years

no ill effect.

they explode in population when you tend to over feed

Ill ask lady red for further information to ease your mind ! stay tuned

XPLOSV
Sun May 14, 2006, 05:12 AM
nicholas76 much appreciated,

I never in my life came across this.....

Regarding food, do you think I show lay off BH since its a big mess every dinner for them?

nicholas76
Sun May 14, 2006, 05:23 AM
it clearly appears to be an issue thats related to it.

I would feed less if anything and substitute it with foods that dont pollute as much.

also query your w/c routine? its it a planted tank?

Merrilyn
Sun May 14, 2006, 05:43 AM
They certainly look like planaria to me. There is usually a small population of them in any aquarium, but when you overfeed, they multiply to take up the excess food.

A thorough gravel vac and a few big water changes should reduce the population down to managable levels. I don't think you ever really get rid of them totally, (as Nick said, they seem to come in the tap water) but it is a sign that you have been feeding to excess, and need to change your feeding habits.

I have never personally had a problem with them causing fish deaths, but I guess it is possible if the population were allowed to get to an extreme level. Then they could certainly remove a lot of the available oxygen from the water, and probably cause an ammonia or nitrite spike, which would be fatal to fish.

In small numbers, I think they are more of an annoyance than anything else, but you don't want to allow the population to compete with your fish.

XPLOSV
Sun May 14, 2006, 06:09 AM
Thanks you so much for your advise guys.

Im loving this forum day by day..

Cheers
Ken

sammigold
Sun May 14, 2006, 07:29 AM

Nick!!! THATS GROSS!!!!! Yuk!!!! :fluff :lol: :lol: :o :o
I'm just going to pretend that I never read that... just like I never read that over your lifetime you swallow zillions of insects/spiders/moths etc whilst you are sleeping....

If I didnt I would be a totally dehydrated insomniac!!!! :lol:

samir
Sun May 14, 2006, 07:45 AM
maybe you should feed the beefheart in the morning and something less messy at night.

XPLOSV
Sun May 14, 2006, 08:36 AM
I will try that thanks,

nicholas76
Sun May 14, 2006, 10:26 AM
[/quote]
Nick!!! THATS GROSS!!!!! Yuk!!!! :fluff :lol: :lol: :o :o
I'm just going to pretend that I never read that... just like I never read that over your lifetime you swallow zillions of insects/spiders/moths etc whilst you are sleeping....

If I didnt I would be a totally dehydrated insomniac!!!! :lol:[/quote]

hehe its so true mate check your tap water or the next time you fill a tank!

XPLOSV
Sun May 14, 2006, 10:32 AM
its so small, how can you identify it?

creepy lil things.

nicholas76
Sun May 14, 2006, 10:34 AM
you can see them !! eagle eyes needed lol

Phlipper
Sun May 14, 2006, 10:37 AM
I have come across these things before as well, they seem to happen more in tanks containing large fish, and i presume that is due to the extra amount of waste produced from poop and food. They will not harm your fish, but do look unsightly, in fact many fish will dine upon them. Salt will kill them, but if you ahve a well planted tank that could be a disaster in itself !

If you cut back the food drastically for a few days, even let your fish go hungry for a couple of days while changing the water a few times, syphoning as well you should be able to get rid of the explosion of them. If you have access to fish like Bettas, some Tetras or Gouramis, chuck 'em in and they will eat a fair amount of them for you 8-)

XPLOSV
Sun May 14, 2006, 10:59 AM
you can see them !! eagle eyes needed lol

LOL wait until I get home, Im going to check every water tank I have for these lil pest.

Gonna put my eagle eyes in use too, :wink:

XPLOSV
Sun May 14, 2006, 11:01 AM
I have come across these things before as well, they seem to happen more in tanks containing large fish, and i presume that is due to the extra amount of waste produced from poop and food. They will not harm your fish, but do look unsightly, in fact many fish will dine upon them. Salt will kill them, but if you ahve a well planted tank that could be a disaster in itself !

If you cut back the food drastically for a few days, even let your fish go hungry for a couple of days while changing the water a few times, syphoning as well you should be able to get rid of the explosion of them. If you have access to fish like Bettas, some Tetras or Gouramis, chuck 'em in and they will eat a fair amount of them for you 8-)

Im going to put all my female fighter in that tank when I get home from work to see what happend.

I think these pest live on BH only.