PDA

View Full Version : Bully!!!

hoya933
Fri May 12, 2006, 11:49 AM
Hello all,
I need some suggestions for a bully. Currently, he is the dominate discus in a 50g tank. There is only 1 other discus and a pleco with him. I had a 3 discus in the tank but he died unexpectantly and mysteriously. But the bully in question chases the other discus when its feeding time and pretty much won't allow the other discus to do anything. My water params are normal and ideal. He also did the same to the 3rd discus which I suspect he killed. Has anyone had (or have)this prob? I'm contemplating on taking this discus (bully) back.

mcloughlin2
Fri May 12, 2006, 12:21 PM
Mate this problem is becoming more and more common due the fact people go out and just buy 2 or 3 discus..
:wink:

There is always going to be a dominant fish in any tank, but if there are say 4 discus in there the agressiion will be spread out between all the fish instead of it being directed to one ... :D

Therefore reducing actual damage being done to a fish

HTH

Cliffeh
Fri May 12, 2006, 01:14 PM
There are usually things you can try like reorganising the tank to force new territories to be established or remove the offending fish for a while but ultimately I agree with mcloughlin2 and you will probably need a few mroe discus to spread things out.

hoya933
Sat May 13, 2006, 05:03 AM
Thank you kindly for your replies.
I will look today to see if a can find a few good tank mates. Ciao

sammigold
Sat May 13, 2006, 05:29 AM
Make sure you quarantine any new ones if you have the facilities just to make sure you dont add any nasties into your healthy aquarium..... just a thought.... :-)