PDA

View Full Version : A. panduro spawn

Noddy65
Thu May 11, 2006, 01:59 PM
Well, I have panduro wrigglers....this is the first lot of wrigglers Ive had.
Will be starting BBS tomorrow and already have microworms going.
Ive also got frozen BBS in my freezer, do they need the live stuff or would frozen do just as well?

Mike

ps. Im not taking any pics as Im afraid theyll eat them :D

Th0mas
Thu May 11, 2006, 02:20 PM
Well done with the new spawn Mike.

How old are the wigglers? Are they free swimmers yet?

I'll hold back on the food until they become free swimmer. Otherwise the food is going to be wasted and the water become foul instead.

Live food is always better the frozen as they'll naturally stimulate the fry to hunt for their food (also more interesting to watch as well), as they tend to clean them out instead of leaving uneaten live food behind. I'll only use frozen food as backup.

In the past years (4+ years ago), I used to feed commercial fry food. This normally result with larger number of infant mortality. So far the Inka's been fed with live BBS and I don't notice any significant loss in number.

Anyhow, that's my theory.

Thomas.

fishgeek
Thu May 11, 2006, 02:55 PM
the movement get's their attention with foods

i tend to use something live mixed with either decapsulated egg's/small fry powders/frozen bbs
i cant be bothered with hatching bbs at the moment and seem to still get 20 or so young through so prehaps 50%

i dont have the time to feed anymore than maybe once a day
so i dont think i would do any better no matter what i fed

because of infrequent feeding i find microworm most useful as they survive longer in tank water

andrew

Noddy65
Thu May 11, 2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the replies people.
With all the egg eating going on I wasnt sure she had eggs (but I had a feeling). Ive been leaving them alone.
Checked last night with a torch and saw wrigglers then got the **** out of there.
Ill set up some BBS tonight when I get home.

Mike
ps I pick up my SLS trifasciata, aggassizzi and bitaenita from Seaview on Sunday....very excited.

fishgeek
Fri May 12, 2006, 07:13 AM
nice choice's
trifasciata are a beautiful fish and bitaeniata are fantastic aswell

best of luck with these and those
andrew

Noddy65
Fri May 12, 2006, 08:41 AM
Nope...didnt arrive in Perth apparently :(

Maybe next week.

Mike

Grae
Fri May 12, 2006, 10:59 AM
Ive got my fingers crossed for you Mike!

Do you need those heaters or sponges sooner than you said before?

Graeme

Noddy65
Fri May 12, 2006, 11:23 AM
Ill be ok for the next or so Graeme
Thanks
Mike

Grae
Sat May 13, 2006, 11:52 PM
Im not trying to sell Mike anything, we shared a eastern states order and his stuff is at my place. :D

Graeme

mtchye
Sun May 14, 2006, 09:01 AM
Mmmm trifasciata.. one of my favs and haven't seen them in perth since the last pair i had oh... 5 years ago??

I'd have a microworm culture as a backup too Mike as most apisto fry will take these, specially in a bare tank.

Otherwise, my pond is fully green at the moment and if you get desperate, filling the fry tank with 25% green water every time it clears has helped me raise a full brood of ram fry before.

Good luck! ;)

Noddy65
Sun May 14, 2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks Vincent...
Ive got both going and ready (BBS and microworms)..hopefully theyll be free swimming in the next few days...the female is still in the little shell thing I use (got the idea from you by the way) so hopefully theyre still going..

Mike

Noddy65
Thu May 18, 2006, 07:58 AM
Fry are free swimming today.
My carefully nurtured and wonderfully timed hatching of BBS decided to pop teh air line off last night. The line goes into the bottom of the bottle, I now have a nice population of BBS on the fish room floor. :oops:

Hope microworms and frozen BBS will do for teh first few days.

Mike

Th0mas
Thu May 18, 2006, 08:16 AM
Any photos Mike?? (the fry, and not the BBS on the floor :lol: )

Thomas.

Robdog
Fri May 19, 2006, 03:31 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the BBS on the floor actually :lol: