PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Shooting

Inspiringfish
Thu May 11, 2006, 03:55 AM
Sorry for the long message;

I had worm issues and treated with Levamisol. The fish have never been so active, vibrant and perky!!! :wave2 :monkey :wave2 Wonderful outcome!!! :blob :wave2 :blob

A day later I had a big ammonia spike. The day before, the Levamisol treatment ended and I did a 30% w/c (cleaned about 15% of rocks). Replaced both Charcoal bags and did another 30% water change (cleaned another 15% of rocks) the next day. (Oh yeah, I turned off the UV sterilizer for the treatment and turned it back on after the first water change.) My ammonia is holding steady at 2+. It's never been this high and holding. I've done another 30 % w/c and this time did not clean the substrate (rocks-small). Still holding at 2+ ammonia :cry: .

I have a 125gallon,UV,bio-ball filtration system, and 12 beautiful fish that seem to be doing fine thanks to ammonia detox.

By replacing both charcoal bags(loss of bacteria?), turning on the UV(loss of bacteria?), cleaning the substrate (loss of bacteria?) is it possible this is the cause of my ammonia spike. :?

All fish are accounted for. No other difference that I can think of.

Thanks for the feedback and again sorry for the long message.

Merrilyn
Thu May 11, 2006, 05:05 AM
Mark, what sort of filter are you using, sponge or canister, and did you clean that at the same time.

You said you replaced the two carbon bags, so are they part of your filter, and what other bio media do you have in there?

You may have just removed too much of the good bacteria with your big clean out, and it will take a while for the colony to regenerate.

Just out of interest, do an ammonia test on your tap water, before it goes into the tank. You may find a problem there.

I also wonder if the "ammonia detox" is giving you a false ammonia reading. Next time you do a water change, don't add the detox, and see what the reading is then.

If you have a nitrite or nitrate test, post the readings, because that will tell us if the bio cycle is working.

Inspiringfish
Thu May 11, 2006, 05:00 PM
The system I have;

It over flows into a tank below, into a compartment which overflow onto a pad, then through a bunch of holes onto a bunch of bio-balls, then through a sponge, and into a 3rd compartment which is where my pump is. The charcoal is in the pump compartment and at the bottom of my overflow (charcoal before going into the pump and after it comes out of the tank).

Is that called a bio-filter??

I'm using and changing water with R/O, no ammonia.

Nitites are zero
Nitrates are 10-20

As far as general hardness,, that stuff confuses me??? :oops: Don't forget;

I'm a blonde, Polish, American :? :?

Inspiringfish
Thu May 11, 2006, 05:03 PM
Oh yeah,,,, The reason for the Monkey on the original message?????????? I don't know??,, just thought he was cute. :lol: 8-) :lol: :thumb

Merrilyn
Fri May 12, 2006, 06:23 AM

Then you're forgiven on all three counts :lol:

If you're using RO water, then it's gotta be soft so no problems there.

Did you manage to test your water before you put the ammo lock in.

Your bio filter is working well (yes, you do have a bio filter, the type you have is commonly referred to as a "sump") because you have a good reading of nitrates.

I still think the ammo lock stuff is giving you a false reading, and your ammonia level is very low, or even zero.

Inspiringfish
Fri May 12, 2006, 01:51 PM
Your awesome Ladyred. Thanks for your forgiveness (always needed). And thank you for your diagnosis.

bushie
Sun May 14, 2006, 02:33 AM

lucky your not female aswell or you`de have absulutely nothing going for ya. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jokes just jokes...

good luck with ya fishies.

from an aussie bloke from the bush.

( I`m not very clever, but I can lift heavy things and drive a long way ) :lol:

Inspiringfish
Mon May 15, 2006, 04:50 PM
Exactly Bushie :lol: :lol: . Thaks for the chuckle, always needed. :D