PDA

View Full Version : Where can i buy discus?

shayesmommy
Tue May 09, 2006, 06:38 PM
well i noticed people are very helpful in some of the post. And as im new to the hobby i will be asking a quite a few questions in the next few weeks up to until i actually buy some discus. The tanks all ready . just waiting for plants to grow.
and im very excited to be able to have these beautiful fish.
Well im from a city that has two pet store. Both of which refuse to sell these fish and will never have them in. :cry: We have travelled to both the larger cities near us ( about 2 hours away Edmonton and calgary) and they have them but not a good selection and the ones that are good they are charging an excessive amount. Even for the baby ones or they only have one or two.
And for being new to it we didnt want to have to pay 100 dollars a fish yet.
We are willing to travel a fair ways away to get them.
but so if anyone knows a place near or in alberta canada. even who ships them. please let me know thanks

Inspiringfish
Tue May 09, 2006, 11:06 PM
I'd be curious to know what the forum thinks of Jack Watley Discus???? He's out of Florida (US) and will ship. Not quite sure he'll ship or can ship to Canada??

I've recieved 6 (total) fish from him and they've all been gorgeous. From his hatchery to my front door in 24hrs. All were healthy.

shayesmommy
Wed May 10, 2006, 12:43 AM
i seen them they are beautiful. but i was hoping there was a place in canada so with a good selection so shipping costs might not be so high. i have a few places in the states that i would like to go through just waiting to see if there is any canadian ones..
thanks
Jen

Merrilyn
Wed May 10, 2006, 07:05 AM
A very warm welcome to the forum Jen, and to the wonderful world of discus.

It's best to start with good healthy stock. They'll actually work out cheaper in the long run. Perhaps if you have a look in some of the local aquarium magazines, you may find some local breeders advertising in the classifieds section. I'm thinking of something like "Tropical Fish Hobbyist" or similar. I know a lot of locals advertise their fish for sale there.

Other than that, wait for some more Canadian members to answer. I'm sure there is a breeder near you.

Cliffeh
Wed May 10, 2006, 08:01 AM
Have you tried http://www.canadadiscus.com/ ?

shayesmommy
Wed May 10, 2006, 02:38 PM
yes we have found that canadian discus site.
just waiting out for alot of options.
there is a breeder in calgary but he does it out of his house.
I asked him to email me pictures and he never did. and i asked him sorta what kinds he had and he said all kinds and wouldnt even give me an exact name of the different kinds. So i dont know how much i would trust him. and i couldnt make it to see them while i was there.

Cliffeh
Wed May 10, 2006, 02:41 PM
there is a breeder in calgary but he does it out of his house.
I asked him to email me pictures and he never did. and i asked him sorta what kinds he had and he said all kinds and wouldnt even give me an exact name of the different kinds. So i dont know how much i would trust him. and i couldnt make it to see them while i was there.

Your instincts sound spot on. I've had discus from home breeders before and they have invariably been passionate, knowledgable and communicative. I'd steer clear of anyone that wasn't.

Good luck on the fish quest!

ozarowana
Fri May 12, 2006, 04:17 AM
Here's another based in Canada

http://www.superiordiscus.com/index.html