PDA

View Full Version : how to keep discus???

cobalt
Mon Aug 02, 2004, 07:38 AM
Hi all, was just wondering if i could get some help. I have kept discus previously without much success soon after purchasing them they become sick and die. Temp = 30C pH = 6.5 Hardness 20ppm My water was always changed every day (10%) with heated and chlorine remover with airstone in large drum. they always started breathing rather heavily and then start scratching. Is there a particular rule to acclimatising discus? Do you treat for flukes after fish are in your own tank. Can someone help me as im sick of loosing fish Im not sure if it me or the places where ive been getting the fish. Your help is greatly appreciated

kalebjarrod
Mon Aug 02, 2004, 08:28 AM
where are you from Mr Cobalt,

sorry that your first post is for a problem, welcome

where do you get your fish from (no need for names just are they local and reperatable) and what do you do when acclimatizing them?

how long do you age your tank for? do you seed your filtration system?

cobalt
Mon Aug 02, 2004, 09:14 AM
where are you from Mr Cobalt,

sorry that your first post is for a problem, welcome

where do you get your fish from (no need for names just are they local and reperatable) and what do you do when acclimatizing them?

how long do you age your tank for? do you seed your filtration system?

Thanks , I am living in melbourne and have purchased from several local fish shops and and some breeders only to come to the same conclusion so im assuming that is has to do with something that im doing. I acclimatize my fish after getting them home by placing them in the tank still in the bag and add some tank water every 15 -20 for about an hour before releasing the fish into new home. My Tank are usually about 2-3 weeks old but i change water every day 10% sometimes upto 50 % . i purchase products to boost the biological bacteria and add these in ( is that what you mean by seeding??

kalebjarrod
Mon Aug 02, 2004, 09:33 AM
you say you have had discus a couple of times, all times it was the same problem?

they always started breathing rather heavily and then start scratching.

after how long did this start?

cobalt
Mon Aug 02, 2004, 09:42 AM
probably within the first week.

cobalt
Mon Aug 02, 2004, 09:45 AM
the problems start within the first week of purchasing new discus and with similar symptoms heavy breathing followed by scratching.

flukes
Mon Aug 02, 2004, 12:45 PM
Are you making sure that the nitrogen cycle has completed?? Thoughs cycling product dont always help.
Could be the people your buying off as melbourne doesnt have much in the way of quality breeders/importers.
THe drum your storing the water in doesnt leak toxins does it??
Just trying to rule out a few possiblities.

rex
Tue Aug 03, 2004, 12:17 AM
try getting your biological filter in order