PDA

View Full Version : Help with my new tank!

slevytam
Sun Aug 01, 2004, 03:42 PM
Hi,

I am looking to create a discus biotope. So, I will be using sand and plants in my tank. Should I use a heater coil in the substrate? My place maintains a high temperature. ie in summer tank gets over 80 with no heating. I heard this can render the heating coil useless. Note: Currently, my tanks are at about 86 degrees.

I am looking for sand similar in color to what would be found in the amazon but the best option seems to be pool filter sand. I've heard that it compacts much to easily. Would the heatng coil prevent this? Are there any better options?

I would like to use a bunch of spotlights instead of flood lighting my tank. Is this possible? I still need enough light for the plants to survive.

I'd really appreciate any help,

Thanks,

Shalom

Proteus
Sun Aug 01, 2004, 11:00 PM
Welcome to DF.com slevytam...

I am guessing by the information you provided you are in the Northern Hemisphere... (since it is the middle of winter down here)

It will be easier to advise on equipment and other details if we knew the rough area you are from as I could suggest a lot of things, but it may all be futile as you may not be able to get certain things...

For lighting, given what you have suggested, I would be going for Metal Halides, not cheap, but the most effective lighting you will find.

HTH

slevytam
Mon Aug 02, 2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks for your reply!

I am located in Ontario, Canada. London more specifically. Not much around here in terms of LFS but I am still trying!

I'll look into the metal halide bulbs. How many would I need for a 120 gallon tank?

Thanks,

Shalom