PDA

View Full Version : cannister filter as a CO2 reactor

fishingjedi
Mon May 08, 2006, 02:26 AM
Just wondering if it would make a good reactor for my DIY CO2 setup. Connect the CO2 airline into the intake hose of the cannister. Would it work well? would the CO2 being pumped into the cannister make the cannister noisy?

duck
Mon May 08, 2006, 11:20 PM
I have done it that way for a bit and found it not very good at all.
My canister never made a nosie only when it filled up with CO2 and let it go all at once,And crap and s***t blown around everywhere in the tank.

fishingjedi
Mon May 08, 2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks duck, I did a fair bit of research on it last night & most articles I read came to the conclussion it wouldnt work the best. What sort of reactor do you use?

duck
Tue May 09, 2006, 04:59 AM
I don't usea reactor anymore,The one i had wasn't cutting it,Now i'm using a little powerhead inside the tank working like a dream.

Merrilyn
Tue May 09, 2006, 07:00 AM
Duck do you mean a little powerhead, like the one in the Red Sea CO2 kit. It's just a simple cylinder filled with sugar and yeast mix, tubed to a small powerhead in the tank.

The red sea one is working well on my small planted tank, and I've got great plant growth. Thinking of doing it on another tank as well.

duck
Tue May 09, 2006, 08:20 AM
Thats the one Ladyred, but i use a bit bigger pump, weirpoT500 600lph even in my 80 liter tank.

fishingjedi
Tue May 09, 2006, 09:29 AM
powerhead hooked up to a gravel siphon?

rytis
Fri Jun 09, 2006, 05:14 AM
Just wondering if it would make a good reactor for my DIY CO2 setup. Connect the CO2 airline into the intake hose of the cannister. Would it work well? would the CO2 being pumped into the cannister make the cannister noisy?
thats exactly how i got mine, it works SUPER! my reactor from my co2 system is on the shelf...