PDA

View Full Version : Amonia spike ?

Inspiringfish
Sun May 07, 2006, 03:16 AM
I'm sorry if this isn't the proper use of this Forum Index.

I came home tonight with Ammonia levels at 2+. Yesterday was zero???? I'm not sure but my tank is a custom acylic with a custom cabinet. I think the cabinet may be to close the the top of the tank?? It's about 6 inches from the water (125 gallon). I cut holes in the top to ventalate but quite a bit of water collects on the wood and then when you open it it falls into the tank. ??? Never had a problem before???? My wife had people over last night and the tank lights were on until about 3am. Usually go out at 10pm??? I told them to keep them on so the fish wouldn't be spooked by all the company (shadows) and activity near the tank???? So the heat and moisture was probably pretty heavy.

Can I over dose on Ammonia Detox??? I added some (bottle recommendation)and they all liven up. I'm gonna do a 30% water change (that's all I have for water tonight).

I see white spots here and there on a couple of the fish??,, any ides what this might be. There was none yeasterday?

I hope this is the right usage of this forum index. I greatly appreciate any help.. :cry: :cry:

Merrilyn
Sun May 07, 2006, 03:49 AM
Hello Mark. Change as much water as you can, and as quickly as you can. You need to eventually do a 100% water change, so do daily waterchanges with as much water as you can manage for about a week. Do a gravel vac each time, and search for any hidden dead fish or rotting food.

Keep using your ammonia detox. It will stop the ammonia from becomimg toxic while you work on getting it down.

With any type of timber hood, I'd be using cover glass on the top of the tank (simply glass sheets cut to fit the inside dimensions of the tank, and which rests on the glass supports of the tank, effectively making a lid with a few holes cut to take the heater and hoses.)

It doesn't need to be a perfect fit, just enough so that the evaporating water condenses on the glass, and drops back into the tank, rather than collect on the timber hood. In urgent cases, I've even used plastic wrap, like Seran Wrap or Glad Wrap as a temporary fix.

Not sure if this was the cause of your ammonia spike, but seems it may have something to do with it.

Inspiringfish
Sun May 07, 2006, 03:55 AM
Thank you LadyRed for your quick response. I will follow the advice regarding the glass top.

Not as urgent,, any ideas regarding the white spots?? Anyone?

Was this an appropriate placement for my inquiry?? Problem??

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G-1000
Sun May 07, 2006, 04:46 AM
Any white spots on the fish can be treated by elevated temperature to 32 degrees and adding 1 tablespoon of ROCK salt per 40L.

Treat the ammonia problem before you try to fix whitespot.

G

Merrilyn
Sun May 07, 2006, 04:55 AM
Absolutely the right place for your enquiry. An ammonia spike is definately an emergency.

Wilth regard to the white spots. Need a bit more info Mark. When did you notice them, and how many of them on the body. Is it just one or two like pimples, or is it a number of very fine spots all over the fish and into the fins as well. A pic would be great if you can manage it.

Don't add anything to the tank just yet. I'd like to see that ammonia problem under control first, then we'll tackle the spots.

Inspiringfish
Sun May 07, 2006, 05:23 AM
Thank you guys/girls. I changed 30 gallons tonight. I'll also preform another 30 tomorrow or until it's under control.

The white spots actually look like pimples. 3 fish that I have (of 12) have 1, maybe 2, sporadic spots.

Thank you all for your help.

Merrilyn
Sun May 07, 2006, 09:02 AM
Okay, then it's not white spot, or ick, so no great urgency. We'll concentrate on the ammonia spike, and I have a feeling those spots may just cure themselves.