PDA

View Full Version : New intrests

flukes
Sat Jul 31, 2004, 04:47 PM
Well after taring down my first planted discus tank that was too small for them. I have decided too turn it into a reef tank. It was basically my girlfriends idea wanting a clownfish, but i would always talk her out of it but now she said she would pay for everything iam all for it.
So here goes on the latest project, ive got a lot of reading too do and probably alot of shopping!!

Anyone else keep reef tanks.? Or are we strictly discus?

Cheers
Scott

Proteus
Sun Aug 01, 2004, 12:38 AM
I am sure there are plenty of reef heads here as well...

I did have a couple of marine tanks going in the past, but none at the moment (stay tuned, that could change with little or no notice... lol)

flukes
Sun Aug 01, 2004, 04:43 AM
hehh your a loose cannon ro!!!!

What did you keep in the past?? I was thinking something simple but i would rather have nice corals then exotic fish, but as ive been told corals are harder to keep alive than the fish.
The fish I was thinking of was a lionfish, i ve always loved the look of them but apparently the dont go with clownfish and since its here tank, no lion fish for me :cry:

Reef is like a whole new ball game, and suprisingly not many lfs in melbourne are very informed about them and how too maintain them.

nicklee88
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 04:51 AM
hey,

i am a reef keepers, i love exploring the nw world of these facinating features, lol

Nick

flukes
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 03:33 PM
Yeah well Nick ill being racking your brain, in the near future.!

Ive noticed that opinions vary alot within the marine hobby, and every one feels strongly about there opinion, makes for some great debates!

kalebjarrod
Tue Sep 28, 2004, 10:01 AM
Ive noticed that opinions vary alot within the marine hobby, and every one feels strongly about there opinion, makes for some great debates!

no flukes that makes for mass debates

LOL

i was planning a 3 fter for locally caught fish but have to concentrate some more on work at present, soon i hope

tanks319
Fri Oct 01, 2004, 10:47 AM
tip to keeping clown fish is to try and get tank bred ones.They are bulletproof as well.Very very easy to keep.

TIP-buy a couple of sea horses as well your other half will love them so much you might even get permission to buy some more discus for yourself !!!!(it worked for me)

flukes
Fri Oct 01, 2004, 12:15 PM
The clown fish is for the Mrs, i dont want them. Only thing i want is a lion fish! And now it has too be a dwarf so it doesnt eat the clownfish! grrr

weird
Fri Oct 01, 2004, 12:54 PM
I am just freshwater for the moment, but when I went snorkeling at rottnest island, which is just off perth, the brain coral and ofcourse the fish just blew me away. Reef/salt water ... wow ... beautiful ... expensive though yeah ? I think I will have to be content with snorkeling at Balmoral Beach.

Btw with the clownfish i believe you should get them in 2s, and only have 2.

Have you thought about angler fish ? j/k about them... interesting how fish this deep can only see the color blue, and how they can see red and produce a red light. Sorry just rambling.

lesley
Sat Oct 02, 2004, 09:14 PM
Flukes,

If I was going to set up a reef tank, I would have seahorses!! I have seen some beautiful smaller tanks set up with them and they looked stunning.

Lesley

nicholas76
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 05:10 AM
Did you know you can buy fresh water sea horses!

i just went to the LFS and they has sea horses from a tasmanian supplier on show.

apparently they are sold to the asain market but are now selling them to LFS's as pets for people.

how easy is that hey? no salt water, protein skimmers etc etc

the idea of getting a lionfish sounds great scott, what are there tank mates if any?

flukes
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 05:15 AM
They are called southern knight seahorses, cold water but are a bit dull in color, still have the grace and bueaty of all seahorses.

nicholas76
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 05:28 AM
grace?

mate they are soo bloody broing to watch! they do nothing but cling to whatever lol

scott this site is for you http://www.oceanfootage.com/stockfootage/Lion+Fish///?DVfSESSCKIE=057357b1c7624732eb8b50b1416a3c3cd520d c20

some lion fish mpegs which are awsum

flukes
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 05:43 AM
Oh you da man nick, Once i get the clownfish for the money bin(mrs), i want too setup a 6ft tank just for different types of lionfish. Truely amazing fish.

nicholas76
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 07:09 AM
you may have just convinced me to get one scott,

keep me posted , and if you do get one i might have to as welll.

flukes
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 08:03 AM
Very expensiv so iam doing it slowly, iam getting a sump made atm. And saving for a Australian Aquatics Venturi skimmer.

I ll get there just slowly,,

weird
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 08:56 AM
lionfish ......... oh my goodness ... woweeeee

clownfish ....... gee, how cute (throws up).

seahorses ..... 3 words, "chicks dig em"

flukes
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 12:14 PM
I just want a lionfish, so mean yet so graceful. And a sting that hurts..

What more do you want?

nicklee88
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 12:16 PM
What more do you want?

Nothing too go wrong, lol

nicholas76
Sun Oct 03, 2004, 09:07 PM
LMAO

flukes
Mon Oct 04, 2004, 02:03 AM
What can go wrong? :wink:

*Flukes watches his tank shatter before his eye's*
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

nicholas76
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 05:45 AM
Scott!

just got back from my LFS and he has 3 lion fish for sale.

AbSOLUTELY the hottest lion fish i have seen. two diffrent strains. One was a sandy white colour with bigger flappy style fins whilst the two others were the typical style

all about the 4 - 5 inch size around the $100

all were in the same tank, no fighting at all.

if it wasnt for the fact that my place has turned into a discus day care centre i would be buying them thats for sure.

flukes
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 05:55 AM
Ohhh damn!! I have to get a dwarf lion though.. so it wont eat the Mrs's clown fish... :cry:

That sucks, ah well still get one, just a bit smaller. :wink: