PDA

View Full Version : tank builders

kalebjarrod
Fri Jul 30, 2004, 09:53 AM
looking for someone to build a 10ft ish tank in bribane / goldcoast.

exact size will depend on the lenght on my wall, just over 10 and a bit foot

anyone build tanks this big? properley?

flukes
Fri Jul 30, 2004, 01:00 PM
*cough* plywood DIY *cough*
:lol: :wink:

kalebjarrod
Fri Jul 30, 2004, 09:35 PM
cough?

you sick flukes?

hope you get well soon.

kalebjarrod
Fri Jul 30, 2004, 10:10 PM
got any info on plywood tanks?

flukes
Sat Jul 31, 2004, 04:58 AM
http://www.simplydiscus.com/forum/index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=9416

There are more links in this post..

KAAZ
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 12:10 PM
That's not a tank, more like a swimming pool!! lol

kalebjarrod
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 12:20 PM
i still think glass,

i lkie how clean i can kepp it

how much $ can you expect?

Merrilyn
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 07:03 AM
had my 8x2x2 in 15 ml glass built to my specifications with extra bracing etc and a section across the back (to fill with sand and plants) while still keeping most of the bottom bare. Going by what I paid - expect to pay around $900 plus.

Proteus
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 07:09 AM
10 x 2 x 2 with dual overflows advertised on AquaClassifieds.com.au for $550...

http://www.aquaclassifieds.com.au/listing.php?id=6

other size tanks listed as well... for a 8 x 2 x 2 it would be 12-15mm minimum... (lots cheaper than $900 as well) sorry....

:wink:

Merrilyn
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 07:24 AM
Geez thanks Proteus - I needed to know that :roll:

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 08:15 AM
i've been watching that one, i've got a truck to pick it up too!

i would like it just a little deeper if i could, and a fraction longer

sounds funny but i want it to cover an entire wall in my boys room

that on top, series of six breeders below. all built into the wall

Chris McMahon
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 08:22 AM
10 x 2 x 2 with dual overflows advertised on AquaClassifieds.com.au for $550...
But in NSW. I'd hate to think of the breakage and cost issues with shipping a tank that big interstate.

kalebjarrod here's a few people to try:
1. A guy called "Kell" 55466178. He built my breeding tank and did a great job for a great price. He also did all the tanks for my LFS. But I think 10ft may be too big for him.

2. The Aquarium in Hind St Southport - only heard that they offer cheap tanks of average quality.

3. Aquarium-R-US - They are cheap but they over-brace the top IMO. They did my 5x2x2. Their tanks are also a little rough. Mine was dirty and had chips of glass in it.

Frankly, a 10x2x2 or larger will be speciality order and you'll have trouble finding anyone who can build one for a reasonable price on the Coast.

BTW a plywood tank wouldn't be a bad idea. If you made a fake in tank background like mine (which covers the back and both sides, and used a single large piece of polycarbonate instead of glass it could look pretty good. Add some wood laminate to the outside and you'd have a pretty good show tank.

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 08:33 AM
my plan is to have the show tank from hell.

i will go and check the guys you mentioned, thanks

transpostation shouldn't be that bad, my old man move windscreens around all day and night interstate etec etc

i just think that if i am gonna do this room my wife will give me one shot at it if i don't get it right she ani't gonna give me a second room!

the breeders will be for

a. quarnetine
b. sickness

and best case - BABYS

got to nail the tank first,

how heavy would the tank be?

Chris McMahon
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 08:44 AM
how heavy would the tank be?My 5x2x2 was about 100kg or so. It was a real effort not to drop it with two people. Lifting it to my base of 900mm was "hard". A 10x2x2 would weight more than twice that as the glass would have to be thicker as well as more of it.

It's say you'd need at least 6 healthy guys to move it. Stairs, tight corners, or obstacles will be a MAJOR issue. Most houses don't have passages, doors or corners wide enough to manoeuvre a 10x2x2. Make a cardboard model if you've unsure it'll fit.

I'd try and get the maker to agree to include onsite installation in the quote. Might be the best money you can spend. It only takes one accident and the whole tank might smash.

If you can afford it, a lexan tank would weigh less than half a glass tank. I was quoted $900 for a lexan 5x2x2. A glass one was $270. If you have kids, I wouldn't recommend lexan though.

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 09:04 AM
the tank will fit easy,no corners, double doors, then straight in . its a renovated garage (or soon will be)

my 70cm X 70cm X 100cm deep tank takes 2 too move it so i thought i better ask

Come around and help me move a tank Chris?

beer in it!

i have two boys, as i like to say

"they rose from the firey pits of hell too make my fish as scared as a fish acn be, THIS WAS SATANS PLAN" lol

Chris McMahon
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 09:23 AM
the tank will fit easy,no corners, double doors, then straight in . its a renovated garage (or soon will be)Good stuff. That should simplify things considerably.

Come around and help me move a tank Chris?A tank, or this 10x2x2 back-breaking behemoth?

beer in it!Don't drink. I'm sure we can work something out. Your first born....discus? :twisted:

i have two boys, The only down side with Lexan is scratching. Inside the tank isn't an issue as the water "fills in" the scratch and makes it invisible. Outside it's a PITA to remove.

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 09:27 AM
i'll go glass

don't drink, thats fine - hope you can lift though...... LOL

Sorry got to scarfice the first born discus to my boys, they demand it

how about the second LOL

Proteus
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 10:59 AM
oh, I thought you said gotta sacrifice your first born boy for your Discus... :shock:

shakes head and wakes up... ok, thats better.

for a 10 x 2 x 2 tank, 12-15mm glass, you would need 6-10 strong lads to move that any distance greater than a few feet.

anything bigger, and the only SAFE way to do it is have it built on site.

moving anything of any size is asking for trouble as the stress loads are enormous.

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 11:25 AM
Hard isn't it,

i just want to cover the WHOLE wall

so whos up for an old fashioned tank building?

Proteus
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 11:28 AM
dont tempt me...

I love the Gold Coast...

hey wouldnt that be kool

a working bee weekend...

Mission Discus Den build a massive show tank for Ryan

a bunch of us folks from here... anything is possible

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 11:41 AM
i,ve got a carpenter, plumber, electrian and i have a built in beer keg

don't tempt me

Proteus
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 11:45 AM
Dude... after having the week of my life just on a month ago meeting up with all my online fish buddies in the U.S. I wouldnt hesitate at such an opportunity...

airfares are dirt cheap... and I love a challenge.

I am sure there are a few here that probably would be just as crazy.

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 11:52 AM
i say lets do it,

STAY TUNED FOR POSTING'S AND UPDATES

flukes
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 02:25 PM
ahhhh damn id love too do it, pitty i need to donate an arm to get a day off work, We can do it near the discus cimp in November, ill come too sydney first Ro, can show me around the joint, mainly SLS and then we can go up to QLD to help Ryan for a small fee of $40 an hour. Cash in hand. :wink:
I would actually be a bit scared building something that big, for one i havent built ANY glass tanks yet. And also for a first time 10ft is a hell of a challange, but i love a good challange.
Would love to do it but i might find it hard to get the time of work.
Well let me know of any future plans.

Chris McMahon
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 10:38 AM
kalebjarrod here's a few people to try:
1. A guy called "Kell" 55466178. He built my breeding tank and did a great job for a great price. He also did all the tanks for my LFS. But I think 10ft may be too big for him. I spoke to Kell this evening. He can build you a 10x2x2 but you'd have to arrange a small truck (ie something with a 10'+ tray) for pickup as he can't deliver a tank that size. Give him a call, that's his home number above.

kalebjarrod
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 10:48 AM
thanks chris,

onto that

trucks no probs, whats kevs stuff like? Honestly

last thing i want is 3600ltrs on the ground (IS THAT RIGHT LTRS?)

Chris McMahon
Mon Aug 23, 2004, 11:55 AM
trucks no probs, whats kevs stuff like? HonestlyHe did a great job on my 120 litre breeding tank. Better than my Aquariums-R-US tank. He's currently fixing my 4' tank. When I need a few more breeders, I'll be going back to him.

He did the tanks at Bernies Pet Barn in Bundall. He does quite a few tanks judging from his workshop. He had a fairly large tank there tonight.

I'm sure you could arrange a time to take a look for yourself. He's kind of out in the boonies though.

last thing i want is 3600ltrs on the ground (IS THAT RIGHT LTRS?)No. Actual capacity will be pretty close to 930 litres or 250 US gallons. Less substrate, rocks, and backings - if used.

kalebjarrod
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 10:22 AM
how did you get the figure of 930ltrs?

i am confused

Chris McMahon
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 11:18 AM
how did you get the figure of 930ltrs?300cm x 60cm x 60cm (~10'x2'x2') allow say 15mm for glass thickness and assuming you'll have 3.5cm from the top of the tank to the water line gives an inside measurement of 297cm (long) x 57cm (wide) x 55cm (to the waterline) = 931,095 cubic centimetres water volume.

There are 1,000cc in a litre, therefore your 10x2x2's actual water capacity will be around 931 litres. The are 3.785411803 litres per US gallon, so you'll have 246 gallons.

You tank will weigh 931KG(water) + at least 200KG (glass) + substrate + ornaments + driftwood + fish. Say around 1.2 tons or the weight of 15 men.

kalebjarrod
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 11:25 AM
where the fuck did i get 3600ltrs from?

i am confused in more ways than one

Chris McMahon
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 11:30 AM
where the **** did i get 3600ltrs from
That would be a 15x3x3. You're definitely in snorkel territory there.

Tryhard
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 10:14 PM
Bugger the snorkel that sounds more like scuba turf !!!!!!!!1 :shock:

kalebjarrod
Wed Aug 25, 2004, 07:26 AM
i'd buy one if i had too!