PDA

View Full Version : Microworms as fry food - or vice versa?

k9outfit
Tue May 02, 2006, 03:36 AM
I've tried feeding microworms to my German Blue Ram & Alto. Compressiceps fry, but when I do, I always get the horrid feeling that it's actually the microworms that are munching the fry! :shock: I've observed them with a magnifying glass, and it's unnerving to watch - I usually end up rescuing the fry and placing them in a fresh container. Are microworms carnivorous, given the chance? Would they eat fry that are too small to eat them?

Merrilyn
Tue May 02, 2006, 05:28 AM
Yikes - microworms eat carbohydrates, oats, wheat, potato. Don't think they eat fry, well I hope not anyway. But then again, I've never watched them under a magnifying glass :shock:

k9outfit
Tue May 02, 2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks Ladyred; makes me feel just a leeeeeettle bit better about the microworms. :?

Ben
Tue May 02, 2006, 11:19 PM
I have read a lot of literature starting that newly hatched artemia has the best nutrition over all live food that can be fed to baby fish.

k9outfit
Tue May 02, 2006, 11:32 PM
I was hatching bbs for over a year, but all too frequently I'd loose a batch, and then I'd be stuck trying to feed something.... anything.... to the fry. The microworms seemed like a sensible alternative?

Looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet and start hatching them again. Though, think de-capsulating them will make at least some difference. I could feed the de-capsulated bbs to the fry, even if they don't "hatch", couldn't I?[/i]

Th0mas
Wed May 03, 2006, 12:40 AM
BBS is too big for ram fry at early stage. Need to use something smaller like microworm, vinegar eel, etc (from what I've heard).

Thomas.

catfishbone
Wed May 03, 2006, 04:14 AM
i was told to feed the rams fry with brine shrimp food ... :)

or you could try to get some liquifry no 1 ...

- andrie -

Robdog
Sun May 07, 2006, 02:44 AM
I agree with the liquifry No1 option. There is also a powdered fry food from Sera. When they get a bit bigger you can hit them with frozen BBS.
I'm using this method with some caca fry atm(I admit they are a bit bigger than ram fry) but I've had great growth since using the frozen bbs.
Comes in a tab sheet and I've used 2 tabs in two weeks. It's gonna last forever!

Th0mas
Sun May 07, 2006, 03:57 AM
Apisto fry should be able to take BBS without any problem - the baenschi were happy to take them on their first day of free swimming.

Ram's egg being much smaller than apisto, hence BBS maybe too big for them.

Hatching BS isn't that difficult, just the extra effort in doing it. The fry (as well as the adults) love them.

Thomas.