PDA

View Full Version : GOURAMIS & DISCUS

GIGGO
Mon May 01, 2006, 09:09 AM
Hi,I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I COULD KEEP 2 GOLDEN GOURAMIS & 2 OPALINE GOURAMIS WITH MY DISCUS.ANY FEED BACK WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED AS I AM NEW TO THE AQUARIUM SCEEN.

sammigold
Mon May 01, 2006, 01:26 PM
Not 100% sure but I would say No... as I believe gouramis prefer cooler water temps than discus ie. around 26degrees.

I have found a couple of links for you that give info about gouramis and their natural habitats and water preferences... you can compare this to the info you will find in this forum about discus.

Hope this helps... here are the links.....

http://www.gouramis.info/

http://www.tropicalfishdata.com/gouramis/blue_gourami.html

the second link mentions fish that are compatible with Gouramis...Discus are not on the list....

cheers

GIGGO
Tue May 02, 2006, 10:33 AM
HI SAMMI, THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED:)

sharn
Tue May 02, 2006, 11:08 PM
im not sure really but i would lean to the 'dont mix em' side. ive been told by quite a few people that the gouramis can be quite infested with all sorts of nasties but i am in NZ so we dont get as higher quality fish as the aussies :(

Davo
Fri May 05, 2006, 09:38 AM
I have kept the types of Gourami that you have and also dwarf gouramis and pearl gouramis. They were all fine.

Gourami's are a pretty hardy fish.

Dave.

SandyLynne
Wed May 31, 2006, 08:20 PM
I have had dwarf honey gouramis in my tank with discus for 7 months now with no problems. The temp is 30 and the female gouramis keep spraying eggs time and time again. The male do a great job of building their bubble nests and collecting the eggs but that as far as they ever get. :P

brad_v
Sat Jun 03, 2006, 02:48 AM
My pair of golden gouramis have bred at 30deg in a tank with six discus. Some of the young are growing up in a little tank at the moment. None of the baby fish that I left the main tank survived, but i was not specifically feeding them either
The male was very aggressive around breeding time, but the discus managed to deal with it ok (although they had to keep to the bottom 1/3 of the tank). Most of the time they get on well. The gouramis can be a bit skitish (they have been moved around a lot and I think they frighten themselves more than anything else does) and this can sometimes disturb the discus.

Hedphelym
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 08:05 AM
i have two blue gouramis, no problem at all.
i also had 2 pearl gouramis, that was no problem either.

jagar
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 03:42 PM
about 10 years ago i kept a large blue gourami in a 3 footer and introduced two blue/brown discus. within a week one had 'war' wounds and promptly died, the second mysteriously disapeared only a fortnight later.
I have heard of removing bully fish from tanks to allow others to rise through the 'heirachy' and then re-introducing but have never attempted it.

benjohnson
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 03:58 PM
I had a couple of gold gouramis in with my discus for a time, but they upset them so much they got moved out.... They were very agressive to both each other and the discus, and very skittish too

DiscusEden
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:41 PM
I've had a number of dwarf gouramis, admittedly with an angel fish, not discus. In a matter of months all of them succumbed to TB. I was told be 3 lfs that TB is endemic in gouramis & lays dormant until the fish become stressed (by a move, water change, big angel fish). Don't know how true it is.

Purely because of this I'm not planning to put them with my discus, although it sounds like others have had better luck.

gro
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 03:17 AM
i have one opaline left in my discus tank - with no issues except that he is really big now and would only worry about the competing for food thing.

he pretty much keeps to himself!

dwarf may be the go?

also i have heard that the opalines may be more aggressive?

apparently the pearls are alright - very beautiful.

djceri_g
Mon Feb 26, 2007, 07:15 PM
I have a fire dwarf gourami and congo tetra and they are always nipping eachother! I have been thinking of getting a discus and wondering if this will break the tension or will they harrass the discus? thanks guys!