PDA

View Full Version : Geophagus

Dee
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 08:20 AM
Hey All,

I know these guys are not Discus, but thought I would ask !

Im planning on setting up a Geophagus tank shortly and thought I'd ask some advice, as i believe we have some Geophagus owners on the forum. Plan as follows -

Water Specs -

PH - 7
Temp - 26 to 27
Soft Water - Low KH Low GH

Equipment -

4x18x18 Tank
Eheim 2028 Pro 2
300W Hydor InLine Heater
11W DeBary UV connected to a Eheim 2222 Pro
Approx 1watt per gallon lighting

Decor-

Natural colored sand (not white)
Large piece of driftwood
Some river rocks
Few hardy plants - Anubias, Java moss, Java fern

Stock -

6 x Geophagus Juvies - Surinamensis, Dicrozoster or Pindare ( one of the 3) would dearly love Altifrons, but i know they are hard to come by.
6 x Cory's - Sterbai or similar
5 x L168 Clown Plecs

I would WC 30-40% and gravel vac ONCE weekly.

Does that sound like it would all be suitable for a Geophagus tank ? Any other suggestions for tank mates and stocking levels ?

Any pointers from anyone who has kept Geo's would be greatly appreciated. What is considered a good healthy diet for the Geo's ?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Dee.

taksan
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 08:49 AM
Should be fine although as they grow bigger they are likely to outgrow that tank.

RJ_Archer
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 10:34 AM
yer mate geos are NP to look after but like discus they need clean water

RJ_Archer
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 10:38 AM
And for there food i would try bloodworms,brineshrimp,GOOD pellets, and a good BEEFHEART mix

Dee
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 11:14 AM
Hello Taksan,

Yes, I thought that would be the case ... I will either reduce Geo numbers once they grow out, or upgrade tank size.Thanks for the heads up :)

RJ, I have read that BH was not considered a great food for Geo's ? Would be interested to see if other Geo owners feed BH ? Thanks for the info mate :)

What other fish (especially upper tank swimmers) would be good tankmates ? Would Angels or Cardinals be suitable ?

Cheers,

Dee. :D

Ben
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 01:26 PM
Hi Dee,

i have some interesting Geo's, not your normal "run of the mill" ones.

Gymnogeophagus balzanii.

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=Gymnogeophagus+balzanii&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

They are only Juvies.

As far as top swimmers, those hatchet fish would be nice.

Cheers
Ben'

Phenomena
Fri May 05, 2006, 01:14 PM
Hi,

Your setup should work fine. As mentioned, it'll be too small once they grow to full size. But I think you can keep a pair in that tank.

As far as I know, we don't have the real G. surinamensis in Australia. We have G. brachybranchus that's often sold as G. surinamensis. Geophagus complex is quite complicated and still more species being discovered.

I by no mean an expert. You may want to invest in a book of "South American Eartheaters" by Thomas Weidner. Plenty of info there.

Have a look at my setup here:
http://discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5385

HTH,
DD

Dee
Mon May 08, 2006, 03:51 AM
Hello Phenomena,

Thank you for the info, most appreciated !

I will start off with 5 juvies and scale back from there and hopefully get a pair.

Can anyone tell me the main differences between the Dicrozosters and the Pindares ? These are the 2 species I am considering :)

What is the feeding schedule like for these guys ? 3 times daily ? I have been told to feed BW's, BS and a good vegie based pellet aswell as standard cichlid pellets.

Thanks again for the info, and Phenomena your tank and Geo's look awsome mate :D

Cheers,

Dee. :)

Phenomena
Wed May 10, 2006, 05:34 AM
Hello Phenomena,

Thank you for the info, most appreciated !

I will start off with 5 juvies and scale back from there and hopefully get a pair.

Can anyone tell me the main differences between the Dicrozosters and the Pindares ? These are the 2 species I am considering :)

What is the feeding schedule like for these guys ? 3 times daily ? I have been told to feed BW's, BS and a good vegie based pellet aswell as standard cichlid pellets.

Thanks again for the info, and Phenomena your tank and Geo's look awsome mate :D

Cheers,

Dee. :)

Hi Dee,

One very distinct characteristic of G. dicrozoster is the forked 4th & 5th lateral stripe. Have a look here:
http://www.cichlidae.info/gallery/species.php?s=1174

I fed mine twice a day, morning & evening when they're juvenile. Once they're adults I feed once a day. Mines are fed quality pellets/granules. I tried BS, but they don't seem to like it much. I never fed them live food, just can't be bothered.

HTH,
DD

nicholas76
Tue May 16, 2006, 10:00 PM
Dee!

post pics mate post those pics

and also post pics in the classified section hehehe

time for you to come back to discus !

*Chris*
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 07:10 AM
geos are pretty much all i keep if you want some altifrons go see justin at subscape he could probably get you some .
i have a breeding pair of dicrozoster if you want them

nicholas76
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 07:26 AM
I bought 5 orange heads off justin at Subscape!! $20 a fish cant be beat!