PDA

View Full Version : blue/gold rams sick

Nathan
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 08:22 AM
hi guys ive had blue rams for about 6 months not one of them has died and they were spawining every three weeks, the past couple month they havent spawned and one of the rams seems to have developed somethin under its eye, and now the eye is coming out of the ram attached to this growth quite a bit. ive noticed that a lot of there colouring has faded and they dont look healthy, and i think some of the gold rams eyes are startn to do the same thing. has anyone heard of this before? if so could u please help?

nathan

Noddy65
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 08:28 AM
Hi Nathan
Im sure others can help...have you checked your nitrates....I have a vague memory of high nitrates causing gas to accumulate periorbitally...Ill check with Zoe when I get home.

Uncle Mike

Nathan
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 08:54 AM
i havnt but ill check them a bit later, i dont really think theyd be to high though the tank is quite balanced and havnt had any spikes for a while. anyway thanx for your help.

nathan

sharn
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 10:11 AM
sounds like pop eye?

Nathan
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 11:03 AM
the nitrates and the rest of the water specs are fine. if it is pop eye what is the treatmeant?

nathan

Namn8r
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 11:19 AM
I seem to be getting that with my rams around about the same time. Not sure whether it be parasites or bacterial infection or even tb?

I did hear a while ago that my local LFS wouldnt import Rams anymore as they were often heavily laden with parasites...?

Nathan
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 11:22 AM
i bought my rams about 4 months ago so if they were goin to get sick they would have already by now. anyone know how to get rid of the pop eyes?

nathan

fishgeek
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 03:12 PM
is the protrusion of the globe one sided or bilateral

exopthalmus(pop eye) is purely a description, like saying my dog is itchy in technical terms

if it is unilateral then i find using eye ointment containing both antibiotics and steroidal antinflammatories is beneficial
i would image that in australia this type of medication would be prescription
i apply it directly to the eye twice daily

if doing this best to keep the fish needing treatment in a small easy to catch tank/jug floating in tank

if the exopthalmus is bilateral then anything increasing pressure behind the globe can be the cause , and the difficulty then becomes diagnosis of an exact cause
often if systemic illness and bilateral pop eye is occuring antibacterial remedies are suggested , treatment for bilateral exopthalmus can be frustrating

as with all fish related disease , good water, large frequent changes will help
andrew

Nathan
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 07:28 AM
i heard that this sickness is terminal and most of the time your unable to cure it?

nathan

Noddy65
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 07:35 AM
Hi Nathan
It depends on the cause.
Parasites, bacterial infection can be cured but it can be a problem.
Other causes of oedema causing swelling can be a problem.
Apparently (according to Zoe) it can occur if the water is hyperoxygenated (but I think this would be a very rare cause).
Mike

Nathan
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 08:29 AM
how u able to determine the cause?

nathan

mcloughlin2
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 08:50 AM
Nathan mate, pop eye ( the common pop eye most usually faced ) is caused by bad water quality most the time...

Can be treated by fixing the water conditions...

Post some details of your tank, and get a picture or two up... :wink:

Noddy65
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 08:54 AM
And there is the rub....sacrificing a few for pm would be ideal.
Treatment trial would be the only way really...ie treat for parasites...if condition resolves its caused by parasites.
Treat for bacterial problem...condition goes away...caused by bacteria etc.

Frequent water changes...good food will help anyway.

Mike

Nathan
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 11:35 AM
the water params are fine, have been for quite sometime.

ph: 7
ammo 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 0

ill get some pics this week. ill hav to get some meds sometime this week mike.

nathan