PDA

View Full Version : White worm/Micro worm cultures

flukes
Wed Jul 28, 2004, 01:06 PM
First off are these the same thing?? And if not whats the basics between them?
Secondly are these big enough for adults too see?? How big do they grow?

Cheers
Scott

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 28, 2004, 01:23 PM
Hi Scott - micro worms are used for very tiny fry. They grow in a porridge mix with yeast added. Very high in protein. White worms are a relative of tubifex and blackworms but dont live in water so avoid all the problems associated with them. They are a very high protein, clean food. Buy a starter culture from the lfs - most will order them in if you ask. They live in damp peat moss in a container in the fridge. Feed them on soaked white bread. They are about 2 - 4 cms long, depending on age. Culture can last months as they will breed if carefully managed.

flukes
Wed Jul 28, 2004, 01:26 PM
So are they the same as microworms??
If not how big are microworms?

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 28, 2004, 01:28 PM
VInegar eels are another good first fry food. They live in apple cider vinegar and feed on apple pieces. They can last stored in a dark cupboard for months. They are tiny - I mean real tiny - but great to have on hand for unexpected fry while you are waiting for your brine shrimp to hatch.

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 28, 2004, 01:31 PM
Micro worms are TINY half the thickness of a human hair and only about 1 cm long. Do you want to know where to get some?

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 28, 2004, 01:34 PM
Just re read your question - sorry I didnt answer fully. No, - micro worms and white worms are two entirely different things. Adult discus would ignore microworms.

flukes
Wed Jul 28, 2004, 01:35 PM
ok thanks i have access to both just thinking wether i should start some cultures, looks like it might be a good idea with whiteworms and i might get the micro's when i have some fry too feed,
thanks for the help.

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 28, 2004, 01:38 PM
Glad to help Scott. Feed some whiteworms to those nice yellow babies of yours!

flukes
Wed Jul 28, 2004, 01:40 PM
yeah ive just started a red wriggler compost and i want to try my hand at blackworms the nif i can get the white worms going they will have plenty of choice!!

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 28, 2004, 01:46 PM
Red worms are great. They are just a bit hard to cut. Seems they dont like you trimming away at them. Put them in damp newspaper for 24 hours so they empty the sand out of their gut then freeze them for a few hours - much easier - they don't wriggle.

nicholas76
Fri Sep 10, 2004, 09:33 AM
micro worm culture STINKSSSSSSSS

BUt saying this my fry siamese fighter fry LOVED it.

for those that dont know you cant actually see the worm with the naked eye.

but you can see the ripple in the culture mix. all you do is stick a paddle pop stick in the mix for a few seconds pull it out and empty the residue into your tank water. The fry will see it !!!!