PDA

View Full Version : how to reduce algae?

Nathan
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 12:17 PM
im not to sure on this topic so hoping someone has any tips on how to reduce algae growth as it can look pretty bad!

nathan

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 05:25 PM
I'm just getting into this whole planted tank thing, but I have been listening to a lot of advice from the experienced plant guys.

What I have found through personal experience (after advice from the experts) is that you have to out compete the algae. Tanks with fish in them have lots of nutrients in the water, due to the fish breathing, eating and producing waste. Now, if you have slow growing plants they won't take up the nutrients quickly enough. Nature is always working for a balance, so if the plants don't use up the nutrients, then the algae will.

Frequent water changes will keep the nutrients from building up too much, but you best defense against algae is some fast growing stem plants, like wisteria. They will utilise the nutrients in the water, and help starve out the algae. A win/win situation for everyone.

This is a very simplified explanation as the plant guys will no doubt tell you. It's a lot more involved than that, but understanding this basic concept will go a long way towards keeping the algae at managable levels.

OscarManAlpha
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 06:05 PM
This is a very simplified explanation as the plant guys will no doubt tell you. It's a lot more involved than that, but understanding this basic concept will go a long way towards keeping the algae at managable levels.

Well said Ladyred makes perfect sense to me...

Cheers,

Mark

Nathan
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 07:55 AM
yeah that makes perfect sense thanx a lot LR.

nathan

Ginko
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 11:06 AM
im not to sure on this topic so hoping someone has any tips on how to reduce algae growth as it can look pretty bad!

nathanWich kind of light do you use in your tank? How old are the lights? And plants? Do you use to measure the po4 value?
I'm a good warrior against algae, if I can help You :oops:

AussieStar
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 11:05 AM
well i only have slow growing plants and only do a water change once or twice a fortnight depending on time i have and dont have a major algea problem just some spots on the glass for the bristles to handle

Nathan
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 11:21 AM
im just using a single tube really low tech light, plants include annubias, hygro, crypt and some swords, oh an wisteria. i think its under sontrol now that i hav more plants and got some more bristlnose.

nathan

Ginko
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 11:49 AM
I want to show some plant good to combact algae.
Lights, my suggestion, if you have just one has to be not more or less than 6.500 kelvin.