PDA

View Full Version : pressurised CO2 the whole system

Nathan
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 12:13 PM
hey im thinking (wanting) to get into pressurised co2 systems as i am really keen on planted tanks. just wondering what id need and how much it would all cost (aprox.). so just wanting to know exactly what id need to buy and how much itd cost around, also if anyone knows an online retailer that has good prices or shops in melbourne that will give a good price. also where do u go to get them refilled?

nathan

jho51e
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 01:02 PM
you can get 10kg BOC gas tanks, you hire the tank and get them refilled by BOC...

there is also Supagas.. works the same as BOC... you hire the tank on a yearly rate, when its time to refill, give them a call and they pick up and give you a filled one...

or you can buy your own tank from Air-Up who have 2.3kg ($276) and 4.6kg ($390) tanks... here is a pic of their 2.3kg tank:
http://static.flickr.com/43/83213661_fbd666fa59.jpg

then to fill up they have refilling stations nationwide... http://www.air-up.com/products.html

Nathan
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 07:59 AM
but how about all the things you need to buy to put in the the planted tank like bubble counter etc, could anyone give me a detailed run down of the whole thing?

nathan

jho51e
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 10:11 AM
Everybody, please correct/add to my post...

Here is an example of a CO2 system:
Tunze CO2 Set (tank, regulator, CO2 controller and diffuser):
http://static.flickr.com/39/83202586_886fbf1604.jpg

And this is how you connect to your tank:
http://static.flickr.com/43/83202565_404675c22f.jpg
B: replace with diffuser (Ca reactor in the diagram)
C: bubble counter
D: stop valve
G: pH probe
H-F: CO2 controller
I-L: regulator

Nathan
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 10:26 AM
how much would all of that cost around and is there any online retailers that sell a setup like that, also what size co2 bottle would i use for a 150l tank?

would this be ok, or do u think id be better off goin for a setup like you posted?
http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=649

thanx a lot this does help heaps.

nathan

Proteus
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 10:52 AM
That would work, although more expensive, this next one would be better (it includes the controller)

http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=16

From personal experience I didnt find the Tunze components lasted that long, however there are a lot of people who use there gear... each to there own I guess. (if I had my way it would be using a full Aqua Medic or Dupla system)

Davo
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:47 AM
If you are looking for a quality PH controller then I have a Dupla "Delta" Controller for sale. Dupla is German made and very high quality.

The set consists of the PH controller, probe and callibrating solutions. It has hardly been used and retails for $660.

It is for sale for $400 ono.

Dave.

jho51e
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:52 PM
I would love to get Dupla CO2 as well... second to ADA.. .:-).. i can always dream...

Proteus
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 01:06 PM
I didnt even mention ADA... as my keyboard would have short-circuited from the drooling

apalsson
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 06:36 PM
I bought their (Tunze) CO2 reactor for my 180Gal tank but was never really happy with it so I reverted back to the extended ladder type from JBL
Total cost of a full JBL system is not far off $1000

Ari

Nathan
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 08:07 AM
so does anyone know of a good online retailer that i could buy a whole system from, or any places in melbourne i could buy one from?

nathan

Bad Inferno
Fri Apr 28, 2006, 03:09 PM
for the co2 bottle...try a homebrew shop....same bottle, food grade co2 however half the rental costs. Going to supa or BOC are for industries that can pay 80/year bottle hire....Home brewers don't have that money...the last one I looked at in oakley was 38/year I think. still need the co2 regulator though

apalsson
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 07:44 PM
so does anyone know of a good online retailer that i could buy a whole system from, or any places in melbourne i could buy one from?

Nathan,

Give Aquamart (Blacktown / Sydney) a call and ask for Darryl. They carry JBL and he is quite good with his pricing.
I have two of the JBL Profi 3 systems and am very happy with them.
The pH controller is fully electronic including electronic calibration so no mucking around with screwdrivers.
I have a 5Kg BOC gas bottle feeding one of my JBL systems and am quite happy with the outcome. You canm obviously also buy your own bottle as per the message above but I only pay approx $100 pr year for mine, so I couldn't justify spending near on $300 to be able to say it was my own.
The downside to the JBL systems ann most others for that matter is that the included one is too small or only 0.5Kg. I keep that one as a spare and hook it up while I take the big one out to be filled.

Hope this helps

Ari

Nathan
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 11:24 AM
just out of interest what was the price u paid for it?

The downside to the JBL systems ann most others for that matter is that the included one is too small or only 0.5Kg.[/quote]

r u tlkn about the co2 tank?

nathan

apalsson
Sun Apr 30, 2006, 07:00 PM
Nathan,

I didn't buy my systems from them, but through Strictly Aquariums in Northmead, just to find out that Darryl would have given me a better price. I paid around $900 for each full system but have no idea how much they are today.
Yes, the downside is that the CO2 bottle is only 0.5L

jho51e
Mon May 01, 2006, 07:19 AM
Nathan, you may want to check this one out. This guy is selling his whole CO2 system:
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7038

Nathan
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 08:00 AM
sorry to bring an old thread back up, just wondering how to set it up.

so ill havce the co2 cylinder under the tank then a line from that to the bubble counter, then to the diffusor?

also is a reactor or diffusor better?
and one more question what does an atomiser do?

Noddy65
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 09:45 AM
Yep...thats it Nathan.
Ive got 2 CO2 units running.
BOC (or other) canister (make sure you can get it refilled before buying one, the rules are pretty strict), connect regulator (don't use a BOC regulator, get an aquarium one), run tubing from the regulator to the bubble counter, run tubing from the bubble counter to the reactor/diffuser (they do basically the same thing just different ways of doing it).
The reactor can be in the tank or sometimes its built into the out tubing from your canister filter, theres millions of designs on the net for an inline reactor.
A ph controller would be nice but can be expensive.
Looking at the picture on the Classified section I would say that an atomiser is another name for a diffuser.
Mike

Bad Inferno
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 11:32 AM
if your looking for CO2 try a home brew shop..They rent the same cylinders however are priced for beer drinkers not industry whcih can afford the 80/year rental. I think from memory it was something like 35 /yr. I looked into this a couple of years ago.

rob

Nathan
Wed Aug 16, 2006, 06:55 AM
yea ive looked at ph controllers but at this point a tad expehsnive. do u run one mike?