PDA

View Full Version : A. Juruensis

parkap
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 02:54 AM
Hi All,

I picked up some a. juruensis from an LFS on the weekend. And as usual I saw them, got excited and bought them straight away AND THEN went home to look them up. I had a look through the Romer Atlas (which I finally managed to track down a couple of weeks ago - I swear it was the only non-second hand, english language version left in the world). The Atlas shows that juruensis' are meant to have lyretails, which mine don't. However, they are young.

Does the lyre shape develop as they get older or were these fish incorrectly labelled?

p.

kevkoi
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 02:59 AM
A.juruensis is shaped like A.cacatuoides, dorsal extensions and tail shape, without the orange in the fins. Most commonly seen is actually A.cf.juruensis "Black Chin" which has a black blotch on the lower lip of the fish (Not exactly the REAL juruensis, but resembles.)

http://www.rva.ne.jp/apisto/jyuruwairudo.htm

kev

parkap
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 03:11 AM
Thanks Kev. My new guys look like a lighter shade of that first one. Hopefully they'll colour up more as they get older. They look like they've got great potential.

Also, given your use of the A.cf.juruensis "Black Chin", naming convention, would love it if you could have a look at my other new post in regard to the use of sp. and cf. in apistogramma names. (Very timely response. :) )

Th0mas
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 03:40 AM
The lyretail should develop (for the male) as it reach maturity.

Same applies with veijita, gibbicep, uaupsei, macmasteri, bitaeniata, etc. These are species which I've kept (some still have) and the pointed tail doesn't develop until they reach maturity.

Thomas.

parkap
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 03:50 AM
Thanks Thomas.

I thought macmasteri and veijita's had different tail shapes, one rounded and the other slightly lyre shaped. (Maybe I need to do more reading.)

I've rarely if ever seen viejita's with a lyre shaped tail (although I probably wouldn't have really looked for it until recently either).

p.

Th0mas
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 04:04 AM
All my veijita "Form II" males has developed the lyretail, but only slightly pointed at the ends.

Like many has said, the "Form II" in the habby is probably a bit of cross between a some original real "Form II" and macmasteri.

Thomas.