PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge soon

Dan
Tue Apr 25, 2006, 03:51 PM
Hey all,

I'm finally taking the plunge into discus soon.

and as all beginners do, i have a few questions :)

heres what i have atm.
I have a 4 foot planted tank with mainly vallis and a few bits and pieces. It has pieces of driftwood in it, and an aquaclear 300 hangon filter. Only a single fluro tube.
Fish in it atm. are 3 cardinal tetras because they were 3 for $15. I'm thinking of changing them to neons tho because i can get neons 50 for $50 but when i talked to my LFS i couldn't get a special on the cardinals. The reason i got cardinals was because i read on a few places on this forum that neons don't live long in the high temperatures discus require.
Or i suppose i could just get another 3 cardinals and a few rummy nose since the rummy noses are fairly cheap as well. I'm just after a schooling look because i think that looks cool.
I also have 2 SAE, 2 common bristlenose and a peppermint and 2 leopard cories. I'm thinking of getting more cories soon just not sure if i want more leopards or a different type.
I also have a pair of kribensis in there but i plan to take them out when i get the discus.

Now for the questions.
Can i put guppies in with the discus? or will the discus eat them?
I'm gettin small discus because that is the cheaper option and i'm only experimenting atm. and hoping they survive.

Also can I put a siamese fighter in there? or will the discus pick at its fins?

and when i buy the discus if i buy all different types is it ok if they breed? if they do? or is mixing the different breeds frowned upon?

ph. is around 7 because thats the ph of the tap water.

also when I was talking to my LFS about foods they told me to buy this discus food with white crane. Is that good for the discus? because i was reading somewhere with african cichlids that white crane makes fish go infertile?

And which is better to keep with discus. Clown loaches, yo yo loaches or pakistani loaches? Or shouldn't i keep them at all because i've heard that they harass the discus? i just need it for snail control otherwise i might put them in ther for a week or 2 befor i get the discus to get rid of the snails. the snails are like cone shaped.

Any advice and comments is appreciated
Thanks, sorry for the long post :oops:
Dan.

taksan
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 01:23 AM
I'd be buying a decent filter before I added anymore fish.

Dan
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 02:13 AM
hey taksan.

What filter do you recommend?

The reason I have the aquaclear 300 hangon filter was because i used to keep africans in there and was recommended that filter for them.

Should I buy an external cannister filter?

taksan
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 02:37 AM
Should I buy an external cannister filter?

Yep a Eheim 2217 ....

Dan
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 02:41 AM
ah k cool thanks.

I already have an Eheim 2215 on another tank i'll just swap filters.

Thanks
Dan