PDA

View Full Version : Help! discus fighting!!

Madcow
Mon Jul 26, 2004, 01:32 AM
ive got 2 discus in a tank with a few tetras and cat fish, i jsut did a 25% water change, and gave them a feed of blackworm, now they are fighting!!! :shock: i havnt seen them do this scence i added the fish about 3 weeks ago :? im unsure wat sex they are, but they are nudging each other, biting and kicking. awt could be the cause of this ?????

ive lost on discus due to a funges which could be a result of fighting :cry:

flukes
Mon Jul 26, 2004, 06:08 AM
Its the black worms their either spawn or fight....must raise the hormones.

kalebjarrod
Tue Jul 27, 2004, 10:52 AM
was the water for the change a little colder than the water temp in the tank?

whats the temp in the tank?

live blackworms?

any other signs of distress, colour changes, spots, hiding, etc etc

Madcow
Tue Jul 27, 2004, 02:06 PM
was the water for the change a little colder than the water temp in the tank?

whats the temp in the tank?

live blackworms?

any other signs of distress, colour changes, spots, hiding, etc etc

the temp was abot 2 or 3 degrees warmer, it was live black worm, and they each have their own little spot. one of them like to sit under a hollow peice of wood, i think they have stopped fighting now. :lol:

nicholas76
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 06:17 AM
purely territorial IMO

often a divider, or removing one for a few days will setttle them down somewhat.

or adding more fish if your numbers are low can fix the problem.

Mattzilla
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 01:32 PM
unless they are causing actual damage to eachother i would leave them. a lot of this type of behaviour is territorial/social/pecking order behaviour.

it's natural for them. however, if they are causing damage then you need to take action. how big are they? i would always reccomend keeping more than 2 young discus together. try 6 and above for young discus as they are socail fish. having more young discus helps spread out the bullying and fighting and decreases stress.

if they are adults then it's not as bad

hth
matt

flukes
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 03:51 PM
Like Matt said unless its causing damage its nothing to worry about, i have a pair that go hammer and tong and then decide to spawn. Must be make-up spawning :lol:

kalebjarrod
Tue Aug 10, 2004, 07:35 AM
my take is spawning, although is your new water was colder than the tank water i would be more confident of this point.

nicholas76
Tue Aug 10, 2004, 08:42 AM
excellent result.

often noticed that as well. In fact its even more evident in fish like red devils. The male will bully the female ( somtimes to death ) to try and coax her to spawn.

my male will often bully , chase the female to try and do the same thing. But not to the extent of fins go missing and so on. When that happens , you know it aint Luve

my next obvious statement !show us some pics :wink:

Nick