PDA

View Full Version : sponge size ??

FinaddictFred
Sun Jul 25, 2004, 11:24 PM
Heres the deal. I'm designing a sponge filter set up for a my 125 and I need a bit of advice. I dont know what size sponge pore to use. I like the real open stuff that they make the Aqua Clear sponges out of. But I also like the more closed cells like they use on the big cylinder sponge filters. The large open pore wont support as much bacteria but will let more water flow over the sponge itself and wouldnt need to be cleaned as often. The more closed cell will house more bacteria but will clog faster and require more frequent rinses. These sponges will have a sponge on each end..90'd to a pipe in the center that will run almost to the surface of tha tank where a power head will drive them. So there will be a sponge about every 12 inches or so..Ihavent worked out the exact math on it yet.
Thanks
Fred
8)

FinaddictFred
Sun Jul 25, 2004, 11:26 PM
....I'll be powering these with Maxxi Jet 900's FYI

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 28, 2004, 12:30 PM
I think I'd be inclined to use both. You dont want to clean all your sponges at once and destroy all that good bacteria. This way the fine sponges can be rinsed say - once every two weeks, while the coarse sponge can be rinsed say once each month. Are you going to back up the sponges with power filters of some kind for chemical filtration (i.e. carbon) or are you going sponges alone?

flukes
Wed Jul 28, 2004, 01:04 PM
Being a 125 i dont think it would be the only filtration, i could be wrong..But it would need a few if it was.

FinaddictFred
Wed Jul 28, 2004, 04:56 PM
I will be using 4 of these sponges Flukes. They will be quite large as sponge filters go. I'm estimating the range to be around 100 gal for each sponge and a turn over rate of around 5 X's with Maxxi Jet 900's . Im rethinking this one though. Might move up to the 1200's for more turn over.
I was concidering these to be the only filters but am not commited to this design. Im looking for input from y'all on what you think and what has worked for you.