PDA

View Full Version : tanks wt hood

happydiscus
Sat Jul 24, 2004, 08:12 AM
are tanks wid hoods that have built in filters and lighting good ?????????? they r a little cheaper than customs wt equiptment... ppls post ur views :? :?

Chris McMahon
Sat Jul 24, 2004, 08:16 AM
Are tanks with hoods that have built in filters and lighting good?They tend to be under-filtered and under-lit. If you only use low-light plants and lightly stock the tank, then they are fine. You trade flexibility for ease of use and neatness.

happydiscus
Sat Jul 24, 2004, 09:08 AM
i want a bare tank and around 1 juvinile per 7.5 gallons is that ok

Chris McMahon
Sat Jul 24, 2004, 09:36 AM
i want a bare tank and around 1 juvenile per 7.5 gallons is that okIt might be pushing it a bit. You could supplement the filtration with an in-tank sponge filter. Better to understock, and slowing increase stocking levels, rather than overstock from the start and stunt your discus.

Merrilyn
Sat Jul 24, 2004, 10:14 AM
I have four Jebo tanks with lights and filter in the hood. They certainly look neat but the filtration is not good enough and I've had to add eheims to all the tanks. Check access to the inside of the tank thru the hood. Some have only small feeding holes and the only way to get inside the tank (for cleaning etc) is to remove the hood with lights and all. D*** pain when you're in a hurry!