PDA

View Full Version : kribs pix

wickedglass
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 12:52 PM
yay, my girlfriend has a pair of pelvicachromis pulcher, the male is a little over 5 inches (giant dwarf :P) and within two days of putting them in the tank which is destined for keeping discus soon, they spawned. They're doing a good job of keeping the tetras at bay and cleaning the eggs diligently. I hope they hatch and some survive.
The tank is barebottom, but I've made up two glass "boxes" and filled them with gravel and put them in the tank and put their flowerpots in them. They love them, apparently.
I've never seen kribs as beautiful as this pair!
Gotta think of somewhere to put them so I can finally put discus in that tank, been waiting so long, but in the meantime I'm loving watching the kribensis.

Namn8r
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 01:39 PM
Have you got pics of the male? Id kill for a pair with a male as highly coloured as on the SERA fish food pics

parkap
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 01:02 AM
Chris,

Your male is "5 inches"?!?!? That's 12.5 cms! That's HUGE!

Peter.

wickedglass
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 09:09 AM
that's head to tail-tip, and I was wrong, he's more like 12cm. he was 1/2 a centimeter bigger in my imagination, I held a ruler up to him today. I took some photos, but I've never taken them before, so all came out really blurry for some reason.
but the photo looks exactly like them. The female's dorsal is like liquid gold when the light hits it right! I'll try and take some more photos tomorrow.

Ben
Sat Apr 22, 2006, 11:12 AM
:D

sammigold
Sat Apr 22, 2006, 11:27 AM
Chris, I used to have a pair of Kribensis...they were one of the first fish we ever kept. They used to have babies constantly....

The first time they ever did I saw the male putting them into his mouth and I thought he was eating them!!! So in I go with the net trying to "save" them whilst ringing the LFS in a panic "How do I look after them etc!" they laughed at me and said "He's just protecting them from you!!"
Meanwhile Mum Krib is going beserk!!
I quickly put the fry back in the tank and mum and dad rounded up as many as they could but a few got eaten on the way down by greedy munchers (community tank) Boy, did I feel like a murderer!!

After that they just kept having babies... they looked after them really well and every few months we would take a trip down to LFS and give them the babies.... Mum eventually passed on and we had Dad by himself for another year before he also passed on (old age I assumed)... he grew to be about 10 or 11 cms and was an absolutely beautiful specimen... Mum was not so big but so very colourful, lovely deep pink tummy.. They were beautiful to watch as they looked after their young....
Good Luck with your brood...its great to watch them growing and learning off their parents....

mcloughlin2
Sun Apr 23, 2006, 01:44 AM
Cant wait for some more pics !! Get that camera wickedglass!! LOL

Namn8r, my fav. LFS use to have a few breeding pairs that looked exactely like the ones in the sera pic... :P

I was tempted to buy one but due to all my tanks being full i couldnt.... :cry:

wickedglass
Wed May 03, 2006, 12:59 PM
Finally got some images of my girlfriend's kribs. Unfortunately my expertise with cameras went out the window when SLR cameras were replaced by digitals. I take a much better photo when I can focus the lens myself. So sorry about the poor quality.
Anyway, here they are ... they're currently cleaning out a nice flowerpot for try 2 at spawning a batch. The first eggs didn't make it unfortunately. But you get that. We're pretty excited about the possibility of fry again, especially from these parents.

We accidentally (tyeeeh, lol) bought a gorgeous pair of Nanochromis sabinae today! Ooooops!

JohnnyH
Sun May 28, 2006, 09:00 PM
poppa krib protecting babies

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/BermyBoi/DSC00933.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/BermyBoi/DSC00932.jpg[/img]