PDA

View Full Version : Getting them to eat color bits (add garlic ?)

weird
Sat Jul 24, 2004, 12:54 AM
Hi

Only 1 out of 4 of my discus will readily eat color bits.

As they are just gone through a period of sickness, I do not want to try the "starve them" for 3 days method, to get them to eat anything.

Is there a method of using garlic ? How much garlic ? What type of garlic do you recommend ?

Thanks in advance.

Mattzilla
Sat Jul 24, 2004, 01:15 AM
just feed them a little bit of tetra bits each day and in time they will all eat it. as for garlic, it is good to add to your home made b/h mix because it helps boost their immune sytem.

hth
matt

kalebjarrod
Tue Jul 27, 2004, 09:35 AM
i feed mine in the morning before i go to work with tetra bits.

this gives them all day to pick at it while thier hungry, thiers never any left by lunch.

B/H mix at late arvo / night, but i add a cup of tetra bits to my B/H mix as well (at the mixing stage)

they gobble this up and i also spot feed with brine shrimp, blood worms for treats

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 28, 2004, 12:41 PM
Ditto to both of the above. If your fish have recently been sick I'd feed them on the foods they like for a while. Slowly introduce tetra bits along with their other food; they will gradually accept it. Even garlic can take them a while to get used to. Get a whiteworm culture from your lfs and feed that once daily. Terrific for putting condition on fish.

weird
Wed Aug 11, 2004, 11:11 AM
1 still greedily eats them, 1 has been slightly converted ... today was the 1st time he tried specks of them left over from the 1 who eats them ... the 2 tangerines still look at them with distainfukly .. what snobs !!

Anyway, this is slow going ... atleast one has almost crossed over to the otherside.

I have basically followed the advice, waited for them to recover from their sickness, cut down on their meals to 4 times a day, where 2 are only 1 1/2 cubes of brine shrimp or sterilized bws, and 2 meals of colour bits ... haha ... looks like a hungry stomach is very condusive to trying new foods.

Mattzilla
Wed Aug 11, 2004, 11:17 AM
i always feed mine their least favourite thigs first thing each day ( blood worms, brine shrimp and spirulina disc) followed by their favourite things for the rest of the day (dry granule foods and the absolute fav my b/h mix)

a hungry stomach will soon get them eating. it's also best to feed as much variety as you can when they are young becuase the tend to grow up liking everything that way