PDA

View Full Version : Revising list of tankmates

Lexie
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 01:01 PM
Hey guys, I'm getting a new tank shortly and I'm planning on stocking it quite heavily, but I'm prepared to do the extra water changes necessary and I've read up on my discus stuff.

The only thing I need help with is the tank mates... I can't afford everything I'd like, but this is what I've got so far,mostly going by what's cheap at the LFS! (which, don't worry, is very reliable for healthy, good fish, and I am planning on quarantining these guys and buying them gradually) (Some of these are in my current tropical tank that I will be converting to a new home for my axolotls once I get the Discus tank. I just recounted them to get exact numbers!)

3 Discus
2 Dwarf Flame Gouramis
2 Clown Loaches
4 Neon Tetras
4 Black Phantom Tetras
20 Male Guppies
30 Rummynose Tetras
If I can afford Cardinal Tetras I will get them, but they're about $6 a fish at the LFS, and I really can't afford a school of them at this stage, I don't want to buy less than 10.

The tank will be very lightly planted, with sand as substrate (As I have lots of it left over from Axolotl tank) and HEAPS of driftwood that will be treated before use (I live right next to a creek that has lots of great driftwood).

hahaha, I keep changing my mind and re-editing the list!

RichVic
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:51 AM
Hi Lexie, could you post where you live ?
Maybe we could direct you to cheaper cardinals?
Vicki

sammigold
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 01:57 PM
just a quick suggestion - you may want to rethink the guppies and gouramis as they prefer lower temps than discus ... guppies prefer around 24-25degrees and I think gouramis around the 26mark whereas Discus need higher temps of between 28-31degrees... JMO Go the Cardinals if you can.... sometimes if you buy bulk they might give you a discount...

FishLover
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 09:00 PM
Neon Tetras are bad tankmates for Discus. They like cooler water and they are too small for Discus. Sooner or later, they will end up in the stomach of the Discus.
Clown Loaches are bad too. They are too active at night and Discus will be stressed at night. Plus they are going to be too big for the discus soon. I think they will also out compete the discus for food.

sharn
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 10:32 AM
hey lexie, sounds like you found www.axolotl.org huh? axie fan myself here :)

IMO id up the discus to 6 or so, and ditch everything except the rummies/black phantoms (id get either or, mixed schools can look wierd IMO). that would look awesome as, less is more as they say.

im not sure if the clowns would be bad or not, they are real slow growers but do reach around 30cm or so. they dont mind the higher temps but they might annoy the discus at night like FL said? also they prefer to be in groups of at least 4 :)

i would stay away from D Gouramis, everything i have read about them says 99% of the ones from the LFS are heavily infested with all sorts of nasties and will often infect tanks and just die for no reason, also temperature could be a prob. im not sure if the whole disease thing is true or not but just thought id mention it.

neons, like FL said (am i a parrot or what lol) will drop off real quick with the temerpature and will become McNeons in no time. cardinals and rummies grow bigger

20 male guppies would probably fight all day long id imagine, while they are pretty they probably wouldnt last the higher temps either, not many fish do hehe.

rummies here at 8 each on average with cardinals being 9/10 so count yaself lucky hehe. i love both but rummies tails are just so pretty and they are excellent water indicators

HTH

Nathan
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 07:51 AM
i find the mexican walkers absolutely disgusting sorry! the albino ones remind me of a fetus there just gross!
guess its all about opinions!

nathan

taksan
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 07:58 AM
3 Discus

4 Black Phantom Tetras

30 Rummynose Tetras

Ditch the rest except if you get cardinals
plus buy a few Bristlenose

sharn
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 10:38 AM
nathan- no worries, we definatly know theyre not a animal everyone loves, they are very wierd looking and thats what attracts alot of us to them, the curiosity, we learn more and then get hooked, i thought they were hidious at first too but then i read some more and decided i liked that funny face that always smiles and their furry little gills. they might not be the most active animal or very personable but i still love em all the same ;)

sorry for being off topc mods!

sammigold
Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:06 AM
Sorry but Nathan, that is the best description I have heard for ages.. ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!