PDA

View Full Version : My Little Fish Friends are being attacked at night?

Druz
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:26 AM
Hello Everyone,

Just quickly, do discus chase or pick on smaller fishes at night?

I notice this morning my rummynose at least 3 of them have bits and pieces of the tails left or none at all. They are full grown show size rummys.

This also applies to my britlesnose, cardinals and now rummys. I can't find the cultprit.

Regards,

Druz

sammigold
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:07 AM
are discus the only other tankmates they have?

I personally have never seen my discus having a go at anybody except themselves and my angel... but I have heard others say that just like most fish they will be opportunistic if they think they can get a feed...

Im surprised that you mention the Bristlenose being harrassed as well mostly they keep to themselves and I havent heard of Discus attacking them... I have heard of clown loaches having a go at bristlenose.. but I have loaches with my bristlenose with no probs there either...

Liverpool_pete
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 12:31 PM
I think sammi is right we need to know what other tank mates you have. My discus have been with a number of Tetra species as well as Bristlenose and i have not noticed any hostilities.

HTH

Peter

Druz
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 03:24 AM
Hello,

I have 5 discus atm all medium size in my community tank with 8 bristlenose, i did have 11 cardinals & 10 rummynose and 2 blue rams.

I woke up this morning to head off to work and saw 5 rummynoses dead all missing their tail, and 6 cardinals dead which were very healthy (they still had their tails).

I not sure what's going on :(

I won't treat the tank since my discus are all fine, but i do wish to find out the reason for these deaths to my little babies.

Tank:
Standard gravel
Some drfitwood and plants such as amazon sword and anubias
ph 7
temp 28c
gh and kh were low. I can't remember the exact no.

Did i mention that their tail is also white?

This is weird. I'll post a photo if possible.

Proteus
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 04:04 AM
Discus will hunt and eat Tetras... I never thought so until I saw it for myself on several occassions (mind you these were small Tetras)

Druz
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 05:15 AM
Bummer....

Guess i need to put my wallet back in my pocket :)

I must have an aggressive discus, but they all look peaceful during the day when i see them.

sammigold
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 02:00 PM
Wow!! It sounds like someone went jeckyll and hyde on you!!! Ouch... so many deaths in one night... these discus rival many a serial killer!!
I am sorry to hear about that.... maybe get some larger tetras like black widows or bleeding hearts... they should be safer....
Good Luck...