PDA

View Full Version : Strange A.nijsseni spawning behaviour

Noddy65
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone
Well my spawning frenzy continues.
One of my nijsseni pairs spawned last night, but it all looked a bit strange to me.
She was courting the male, swimming up to him, rolling on her side and on her back etc, trying to lead him down to one of the inverted pots in the tank. He would follow her but not quite get all the way to the pot, she would then continue on, enter the pot for 20 secs or so, then start peeping out of the hole Ive made in the side for access. The male would then wander down, the female would come out and he would chase her away. After seeing her off he would enter the pot for about 15 secs or so then come out again. Then the whole thing would happen again. I suppose it went on for 30 minutes or so. Im assuming she was laying eggs while she was in there and then he would fertilise them after she left. I always assumed that the laying and fertilising all happened at about the same time. Of course he could just have been entering the pot to eat the eggs but she is holed up in the pot today and he doesnt seem to mind at all.

Is this how this species normally spawns?

Mike :D

Noddy65
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:17 AM
Heres a pic of the pair. If you look closely you can see an ovidepositor ? on the female. It was much larger and more obvious in real life.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/Noddy65/femalenijsseni.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/Noddy65/malenijessni.jpg

Mike

parkap
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:43 AM
Mike, you're in fine form at the moment. Well done. Nice fish.

Peter.

Noddy65
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 10:42 AM
I just wish that spawning equaled fry...so far after all the spawnings not one fry is still going.

Still...all the fish are very young so maybe things will improve.

Mike

Grae
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 12:04 PM
Whats in that southern water??
:lol:
I honestly cant believe your fish are all spawning at nearly the same time.

Cool pics Dr.
reminds me of something you once told me about taking pics of things reproducing....... :oops:

I hope you have better luck this time, you sure deserve a win.
Graeme