PDA

View Full Version : LED Light

aquafrogstuff
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 12:53 AM
I was recently given a LED light sample from a local company (in Perth) looking to seel product to the project I'm working on. This fitting has been modified from a Pratley electrical junction box. The diffuser has been sand blasted to get the frosted effect. Beneath the hood are six high intensity LEDs. I'm not clear on their wattage, but the emitted light is fairly focused and bright i.e. you can't look directly at the fitting without hearting your eyes. Unit cost is somewhere between $35 and $45 per unit.

The reason for posting a thread about this light is because it can be run from a remote power supply i.e. the unit in the pictures has a 240V power supply. The LEDs run on low voltage and there is a model of this fitting that can run lower voltages. Because the fitting is IP68 and, combined with the low voltage supply, you have a quite a 'safe' light. This appealed to because I'm notorious for lifting glass lids and bumping fittings precariously balanced above. Anyone ever dropped a live fitting into their tank???

Anyway, for those interested in something safe and different.

N.B. Photos below include one with standard fluorescent fitting.

aquafrogstuff
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 12:55 AM
more pics....

fw05racer
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 01:37 AM
Not bad although the diffuser could be modified so that more light is directed towards the light and not spread out in all directions.