PDA

View Full Version : Pool sand

DiscusMad
Fri Jul 23, 2004, 01:44 PM
Could i be put in if the fish are in the tank?

Doese it just come in white?

Is it safe to use with discus?

can it be put on top of gravel?

Chris McMahon
Fri Jul 23, 2004, 02:02 PM
Could i be put in if the fish are in the tank?Yes. It's fairly heavy and settles within a few seconds.

Does it just come in white?Depends on your supplier I guess. Mine comes is off(near) white.

Is it safe to use with discus?Yep.

can it be put on top of gravel?I had pure 3mm river pebbles in one tank and added sand to it. I throughly mixed the sand with the gravel in the tank with my hand (while the fish were still in there!). Smaller particles tend to settle to the bottom , so after a period of time the gravel or pebbles will tend to rise to the top. But it won't be extreme like two distinct layers, more like a mixture with more larger particles towards the top.

DiscusMad
Fri Jul 23, 2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks Chris been thinking about making a rasied level in my tank using a pvc pipe for a cave sut up fo my loaches while they are still small and use sand in the upper level with plants and the lower level keep as gravel

DiscusMad
Fri Jul 23, 2004, 07:07 PM
just relised I have no way of keeping the pipe in place without the sand pushing it all forward lol.

I guess it will have to wait untill I get around finishing off the new tank :cry:

kalebjarrod
Fri Jul 23, 2004, 10:10 PM
why not glue your pipe to a side of a piece of perspex, lay the pipe where you want and cover the perspex with your sand.

shouldn't shift around then.

Chris McMahon
Sat Jul 24, 2004, 02:53 AM
Thanks Chris been thinking about making a rasied level in my tank using a pvc pipe for a cave sut up fo my loaches while they are still small and use sand in the upper level with plants and the lower level keep as gravelI've got just the thing you need.
http://www.aquariumsrus.com.au/images/acces/lge_terrace.jpg (http://www.aquariumsrus.com.au/access/aquaart.htm)
It's a ceramic terrace with a "foot" behind it to stop it falling over from the weight of the sand. 45cm long and only $26.

They also have a model that looks like a log. (click pic).

kalebjarrod
Sat Jul 24, 2004, 10:22 PM
i reckon the kombi adds a touch of class to any tank! LOL