PDA

View Full Version : Sick fish

chrissyoscar
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 10:56 PM
Hi

I moved house about 2 weeks ago and have now noticed some of my discus are becoming sick.
I put them in 2 tanks, the fish in one tank are fine no problems at all but the other tank is not so good.
They are starting to swim sideways along the bottom of the tank and also swim facing the bottom of the tank, headstand like. At first it was just 1 but now there's 3-4 doing it. I'm not sure if it's flukes or what it could be.
Ammonia is fine and everything else seems to be normal.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I will do a 50% water change tonight when i come home from work. I've added salt and 4 cattapa leaves. I do have flukes and tapeworm medication but before using it I want advise.
When they swim side ways it's very quick from one side of the tank to the other then they rest for awhile before going again.
Almost forgot there color isn't the best, getting darker but other than that they seem normal.

G-1000
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 12:18 AM
Gday,

Has this just happened fairly recently? Like have they been like this since the move or just in the past couple of days?

I wouldnt be going with the flukes angle just yet.

Heres a checklist I always go through

1) are they pooing normally?
2) are they eating normal amounts of food?
3) what kind of colour change has been noted?
4) has anything been added that usually isnt (i.e change of water agers or melafix etc)
5) any aerosol been sprayed near the tank?
6) are water parameters in check?

Are any of those questions applicable?

G

chrissyoscar
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 08:48 AM
Hi G-1000

Thanks for the help.
To answer your questions.

1) are they pooing normally? yes seem to look normal

2) are they eating normal amounts of food? Hard to tell as they eat all the food but not while i am there so it's hard to tell if they are all eating or some

3) what kind of colour change has been noted? gone from a normal red to a dark red

4) has anything been added that usually isnt (i.e change of water agers or melafix etc) different tank that's all but this tank was dirty but cleaned. Maybe i didn't clean it well enough
5) any aerosol been sprayed near the tank? no they are in the garage.

6) are water parameters in check? yes they are fine.

thanks.. Oscar

G-1000
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 09:46 AM
Thats quite odd !

Well it looks like it was something from the tank not being clean completely. Whatever it is - must have dissolved into the water to affect the discus and as such - making more frequent or larger w/c should reduce the level of toxin and thus make the fish health better.

Still - very strange.

Sure youll be fine

G

Ben
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 09:51 AM
Hi Ossie,

I will chat to you when I see you tomorrow but it sounds very strange!

Not sure but I would not think its a disease as your fish are very healthy!

Talk soon
Ben

chrissyoscar
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your advise.

The discus are much better now.
I ended up treating for Flukes, I also added salt and 4 cattapa leaves.
It's been 2 days now and all the discus look much better. They have there color back and are happy swimming around the tank. I'm not really sure what it was they had but I'm glad they seem to be over it.

Thanks.. Oscar

nicholas76
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 11:15 PM
Gday Oscar

gee matey I didnt see this post untill today!!

Hope they are well on the way up by now, hows my favorite anacondas.

Just some food for thought, next time whack in a large bag of carbon to suck up any nasties that water change dosent pick up.

Simply change the carbon after a week or 2 weeks max.

chrissyoscar
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 06:40 AM
Hi Nick

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that when I move back to the new place in 6-8mths time. The anakondas are stunning will have to take pics and post them.

nicholas76
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:33 AM
whats the thought bud

bacterial or somthing chemical in your tap water?

chrissyoscar
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 09:24 AM
Most likely bacteria from the tank not being cleaned properly before putting the discus in it.
I don't think it was the tap water as both tanks weren't effected.

G-1000
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:32 AM
Good stuff oscar !

Pleased to hear its all good

G