PDA

View Full Version : Cat fish for tanks mates

nicholas76
Wed Apr 12, 2006, 11:25 PM
Those who are in the know with cat fish

can you suggest some nice species of cat fish to compliment a discus tank ( the look of the tank is that of a typical river bed, lots of logs, minimal plant growth sandy bottom )

I really find bristle nose boring and the albino variation are dull to look at I find.

is there a cat fish that say grows to about 5-6 inch with great colouring? tried the cat web site but im finding a passion for all the exotic stuff we generally cant find.

Merrilyn
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 04:21 AM
Peppermints :lol:

Ben
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 09:15 AM
I rekon peppermints aswell Nick, but with some extra bling bling and some searching a couple of gold nugget pleco's would look stunning!

Ben

goldenpigeon
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 10:41 AM
peppermints are good.

if you would like a pleco i would suggest a nice clown pleco or 2. they dont grow to big. under 20cm i think it is and have a great nature.

are you after algae eating cats or cats to pick up the left overs (cory's)

nicholas76
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 01:26 PM
peppermints seem the go.

ill have to research these gold nuggest plecos! thanks Ben

goldenpigeon im not too fussed, probably more concerned with algae on the glass than than anything else.

anyone got a pleco pic or two for me!

cheers gang

DR.V
Thu Apr 13, 2006, 01:37 PM
Nick , try ottocinclus ( spelling?) or whiptail catfish.
They're very good at cleaning alage on glass.

goldenpigeon
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 01:48 AM
hey Nick,
if you would like i will send you a zebra pleco or 2 for $750 each. (not including shipping) ;)

or a royal pleco of around $500

call me ;)

nicholas76
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 03:01 AM
No thanks Golden pigeon

Peppermints will be the go.

But I must admit these gold nuggets are a gem!

goldenpigeon
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 03:15 AM
lol it was a joke mate

nicholas76
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 03:32 AM
im not sure what your cat fish would be worth mate, hence the polite politically correct reply :D

goldenpigeon
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 03:48 AM
lol i dont have them but i know someone who is selling them. nice fish! big price tag! lotsa money!!

fw05racer
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 05:23 AM
Always funny when your catfish are worth more than your entire collection of discus!!!!

goldenpigeon
Fri Apr 14, 2006, 05:37 AM
LOL!!!! ^ very true

sharn
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 11:06 AM
wierd royals go for 500, are these the royal panaques? L190 i think it was (im not too up on cats). saw a wild caught lyre tail royal that was around 25cm not including tail, he was 180 which is really fair i thought. and most normal royals go for like 150 or so here. cant even get zebras full stop

nicholas76
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 12:59 PM
what location you from ?

taksan
Sun Apr 16, 2006, 09:45 PM
wierd royals go for 500, are these the royal panaques? L190 i think it was (im not too up on cats). saw a wild caught lyre tail royal that was around 25cm not including tail, he was 180 which is really fair i thought. and most normal royals go for like 150 or so here. cant even get zebras full stop

Lyre tailed royal ? LOL no such thing
Weird Royals ?
A Royal is a Panaque ..... Panaques arn't so weird or rares
A Lyre tail is a adonis .... worlds largest pleco and a CARNIVORE ( to give you a hint they kill Tiger Shovelnose catfish for food)

Few discus/angles, few nuggets, few peckolitas, couple of Panques and some barayansistris sp = the perfect tank

sharn
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 12:47 PM
i meant its wierd that they go for so much :P

the fish i saw looked like a royal but had really long filaments on its tail, they were curly too hehe. the importer was calling it a lyre tail panaque but he has been known to make up names lol.

edit- his site http://www.newzealanddiscus.com/photos.htm you can see the lyre tail on there, exactly the same but larger and its filaments were super long... so what is this fishy :wink:

taksan
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 12:19 AM
Thats a L90c Papa Panaque

sharn
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 11:53 AM
thanks, i might email him to inform him. think his supplier gave him the wrong info. any places i can read up on these? planet catfish? it was real pretty, if only i could have taken it home! was 180 which i thought was fair for a pleco that size but i dont know much about them...

weird
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 12:18 PM
Catfish boring ? I am a nut for catfish ... each to their own :roll:

Just joking Nick. But as the suggestions above ... there is a wide variety available for taste and price.

taksan
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 01:10 PM
thanks, i might email him to inform him. think his supplier gave him the wrong info. any places i can read up on these? planet catfish? it was real pretty, if only i could have taken it home! was 180 which i thought was fair for a pleco that size but i dont know much about them...

$180 in NZ .... at that size it would be well over $1000 here

sharn
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:12 AM
geeeeeeze! why is it so cheap!!!! if its not gone in a few weeks i might just have to make some room in the oscar tank, i might read up and see what they do and dont like and if he would fit in. i dont think phil knows what hes got to be honest so thats why it would be priced like that