PDA

View Full Version : Discus Tankmates

apalsson
Wed Apr 12, 2006, 05:49 AM
I am planning to set up a Discus tank and was wondering if Rainbow fish are suitable as tankmates for them.
I particularly like the Bosemani and Parkinsoni Rainbows.

Also - apart from Cardinals and other similar, what other fish are suitable as tankmates for the Discus?

Anything in particular I need to be aware of?
Tank is 6 foot, 180Gal with high lighting (Metal Halide, 3 x 150W)

What is the opinion here?

Regards

Ari

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 12, 2006, 06:00 AM
Whilst the rainbowfish like their water soft, they much prefer cooler temperatures to your discus, and more water turbulance in the tank.

I think there are better choices. Have a look at some of the tetra species. They come in an amazing array of colours and sizes, and a lot of them will happily tolerate the high temperature needed for discus.

Some that come to mind, cardinals, rummy nose, black neon tetra, glowline, head and tail light tetra, black widow tetras, just to name a few.

Several dwarf cichlids like the same conditions as discus, although they can be a bit territorial when raising their fry. As they stick to the bottom of the tank, they don't usually bother discus too much.

Another fish that looks wonderful in a school is the harlequin rasbora.

There are lots of fish to choose from.

HTH

goldenpigeon
Wed Apr 12, 2006, 08:30 AM
Topic moved to "Discus Tankmates".

cheers
David ;)

fishball
Wed Apr 12, 2006, 08:52 PM
Don't forget your cleanup crew that may consist of some of the following: Shrimps, Otos, Small Plecos, Cory Cats, and/or Small Loaches