PDA

View Full Version : my recipy to happy discus is this:

rytis
Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:53 AM
just wanted to say that i never used airstones keeping discus
my recipy to happy discus is this: (every step extremely imprtant if you follow this)

1. full CO2 system, co2 at 6.5-7ph
2. lots of live plants,
3. bright lights (in two shifts if possible)
4. places for discus to hide from lights
5. peat moss in bottom half of pots for plants and ph reduction
6. strong self made filter with a spray like bar for intake to cover wide area near bottom
7. vaccum gravel once a week
8. change water once a week.....

that's it

goldenpigeon
Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:56 AM
i would advise people t change the water atleast tice week. otherwise that sounds pretty good!

ellwa
Tue Apr 11, 2006, 02:17 AM
i would advise people t change the water atleast tice week. otherwise that sounds pretty good!

I was changing my water 2-3times a week, about 20% each time, and just had a big show on, so the water didnt get changed for a week. the growth has been stunning in the time since i last changed, 6days, and discus are much happier than changing water every2-3days.

tank is heavily planted.

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 11, 2006, 03:32 AM
Lots of actively growing live plants will make a huge difference to the water quality in your tank. The plants take up the nitrates in the water and keep the levels in check.

Weekly water changes will be fine under those circumstances, but I wouldn't like to extend it longer than a week.

Even Amano does regular water changes on his tanks, and as you know, they are very heavily planted, with very few fish. :P

RichVic
Tue Apr 11, 2006, 09:37 AM
Just wanted to add......... I have found it dangerous to listen to advice about how often to change water and how much. Too many variables (size of fish, tank and overfeeding etc) to say eg 20% twice a week, I now check the parameters every other day and change whenever Ammonia, Nitrite go above Zero or Nitrates go above 5. I'd do a 15% and check again and repeat till the desired reading appears.