PDA

View Full Version : Don't want my Coral to become a runt

chrissyoscar
Thu Jul 22, 2004, 02:39 AM
As the subject suggest I want to prevent my small Coral Snakeskin becoming a runt.
I have 6 discus in a 200lt tank and he's the smallest. They range in size from 7-10cm.
Being the smallest he's always being picked on by a few of the other larger discus and it's starting to worry me. He's my favorite and I really want him to reach full size as I believe he'll be a stunning looking discus.
I have a 24x12x12 tank I can setup and was wondering if I put him in there on his own what effect it'll have on him. I know discus don't like being on there own but as things stand he's always in a corner not eating much and will almost definitely become a runt. I've thought about moving the bullys but I'm positive once I do that there'll be another discus who'll try and take charge and he'll become the new bully and I'll be back were I started with the Coral as the smallest being picked on.
Basically will a discus on his own do ok. Here's a picture of him as you can see he's a nice looking discus. Might not be A-grade but still nice.

Thanks.. Oscar

Mattzilla
Thu Jul 22, 2004, 05:06 AM
it's a very nice discus and i think you should move it to the other tank and buy some inexpensive healthy discus to add as well. get about 5 or so the same size as coal and let them grow together. that way it will be less stressed and may grow better. i don't think putting it on it's own will help it.

matt

Merrilyn
Thu Jul 22, 2004, 03:34 PM
Very nice round bodied fish. I agree with Matt but I'd make the tankmates smaller then the coral will become the dominant fish. Also putting him in the tank first will give him ownership. Add the tankmates a couple of days later. Good luck.

Proteus
Thu Jul 22, 2004, 03:44 PM
Ditto to both previous suggestions...

Make coral the boss :wink:

chrissyoscar
Thu Jul 22, 2004, 11:30 PM
Thank guys

The tank he's in is only a 24x12x12 so it's a little small to add anymore discus. I might have to invest in a larger 3ft tank. At the momment I got him in the smaller tank by himself. I put him in yesterday so I'll see if he adjusts over the next week if not then I'll have to do as you guys recommended.

Thanks for all your help.. Oscar

chrissyoscar
Fri Jul 23, 2004, 01:45 AM
Well now I know why there was so much bullying going on. I've just fed the fish and found that my spotted snakeskin and fineline snakeskin have layed eggs.
I also suspect that my other spotted snakeskin and fineline snakeskin are pairing up as they seem to be the dominate discus in the tank and wont leave each others side.
The pair that have laid eggs have been in a corner of the tank for the last 2-3 days and every time they try to leave the corner they are bullied back into it and now they've laid eggs. I wont worry about moving them as I'm going away for 2 weeks in 6 weeks time. When I get back I'll get another breeding tank setup.
Also the spotted snakeskin which is the male is around 10-11cm and the fineline snakeskin about 9cm. They're very young no more that 10 months.

Thanks.. Oscar