PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but another shy discus!

grch36
Sat Apr 08, 2006, 01:31 AM
I didn't want to hi jack the previous post "Scared Discus" because I wasn't sure if my situation is the same. Here it goes.

I recently purchased two discus from a rather reputable retailer in the area. He had three blue discus of which I got two of them (was considering going back for the other guy)

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/grch36/DSCF0643.jpg

This is the day after I got them. Here is my problem. They are extremely shy! I have been reading some posts here about this problem and I don't really have any of the problems described. For example, the aquarium is placed in the quietest area of the house. Its a 54g tank with a 150watt metal halide lamp. We usually keep the room dimly lit and the tank is away from any natural sunlight. The tank is pretty heavily planted with tall ludwiga's, amazon swords, red temples, cabomba's (some other mid and foreground plants as well as driftwood. The temperature of the water stays at 84F and the tank mates are mostly bottom dwellers and algae eaters.(SAE's, Otos, Cory's) There is also a blue ram in there(yes just one, I had one die :/ tried to save her from the LFS but she didn't come through) Water changes are performed twice a week about 20% each time. The water parameters are:

pH 6.8
KH 3
GH 4
Nitrate 15ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm

The fish usually come out two to three times daily to nibble at the gravel then immediately go for the plants and we don't seem them for a few hours. I tried dropping food right infront of their noses to find they only look at the food, whether its a pellet, flake, worm or shrimp, and let it hit the ground. Its been this way for I'd say 4 days now. When I began acclimating them, they were pale and slowly turned to blue. They have stayed a strong blue color and look healthy. Since I'm new to discus I just want to be sure this is right behaviour and if I'm on the right path to getting these guys adjusted.

The store had some beautiful wild caught discus that wouldn't leave your side as you walked by the tank, I guess I expected the aquarium bread discus to be a little less shy but man, this is heart breaking!

Thanks for all your help!

Paul

G-1000
Sat Apr 08, 2006, 04:55 AM
Paul,

Judging by the picture you have provided - there is nothing wrong with the fish in terms of disease etc.

However, you have two discus and that is it? Discus need to be in small groups of between 6-8 to do best (they feel safer).

If you cant get more discus, neon tetras, cardinals etc will make the discus swim around some more.

I wouldnt worry for the time being until they stop eating alltogether.

G

marg
Sat Apr 08, 2006, 10:03 AM
Give them some time - Discus are very shy and need to "feel at home" before they will venture out.

In a week or so you will be wondering why you were worrying.,

Regards,

Marg.

Topkath
Sun Apr 09, 2006, 08:26 AM
Hi there,

I'm new to discus too, got my first one just 3 weeks ago... (a mature discus, he came with the tank I bought) He's still really shy. Only in the last week has he started swimming around the tank, and as soon as you come into the room, or anywhere near the tank, he disappears into the back corner and stays there. He won't feed if I'm in the room, I've backed away from the tank and stuck my head around the corner to watch and about 5 mins later he comes out and snaffles around on the bottom of the tank for food (well, what the silver shark leaves him). If I come back into the room, he's back off into the corner again. We're going away during the easter break, and when we get back, I'm planning to get a few more fish for the tank (discus, if I can persuade hubby to open the wallet) and I'm hopeful a few more tankmates might help with his confidence a little.

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 06:54 AM
Welcome to the forum Paul. Yes this is a pretty common thing with discus. They are an intelligent fish, and know that they are in a different location. They don't know what predators are in this new location, so they intend playing safe.

It's true, they are much bolder in a group, but if that's not possible, they do well with what we call 'dither fish'. That's a nice little schooling fish that swims out in the open. Lots of tetras work well, as do things like rasboras, pencil fish and the like. Anything fairly small, that swims in a school will do the trick.

Discus seem to think that if those little guys are out there swimming, then there are no predators around, so it will be safe for them too. The old theory of safety in numbers is true for discus. The more fish in their group, the more eyes looking for predators, and the less likelihood of being eaten !

They soon recognise their owner as the person who brings food, and in a few weeks, they'll be at the front of the glass waiting to greet you.

Provide them with some tankmates, and then wait it out. :wink:

grch36
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 09:44 PM
Well, I have an update, I purchased two more discus, as well as a few tetras and the two original discus have been a bit more out going, I seem feeding and coming to the frunt of the tank but still prefer to hide when I approach the tank. The two new discus still hide, I'm assuming they will take some time to figure this out as well. Thank you so much for all of your help! I will kee you posted

marg
Mon Apr 10, 2006, 10:00 PM
Hi Paul,

No worries - whenever you need advice or just a friendly chat just hop onto this Forum v- it's the best Forum going IMO - especially now you are one of us : "DISCUS ADDICTED AND LOVING IT PEOPLES" :lol: :lol: :lol: ,

Regards,

Marg.

rytis
Sun May 21, 2006, 03:06 AM
about shy fish
ok, today i found out for sure....
also had shy discus problem for a while (besides when theyre hungry then theyre not shy)
i removed a lot of plants today (their hiding places) and all of a sudden theyre not shy!! why?? because it's natural fr them to run for shelter if they have places to hide....

in my case anyway it is not no water and no vibrations.....