PDA

View Full Version : Veijita Fab FOrm II = cross b/w veijita and macmasteri?

parkap
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 10:20 PM
Hi All,

I'm having some problem identifying one of my veijita's. It was the last in the tank on of the times I was at SLS and had to grab it as it looked so unusual. Michela from SLS told me she was definitely a female. (As a side topic, can anyone tell me how to sex veijita's?) Going through other forums old posts to try and identify her, (I'll post a pic here as soon as I have one to get some help from y'all) I've been reading a lot of posts from apistogramma.com that there are likely no real Veijita Form II's left in the hobby, and has been the case for many many years, as just about all of them are hybrid crosses of veijita's and macmasteri's being sold off as Fab Form II's.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Peter.

steph
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 04:17 AM
If Mike Wise on apistogramma.com said it, I would take it as truth. That man knows more about apisto's than almost anyone else alive.

Steph

Noddy65
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 04:27 AM
Yeh...I might agree. My A. veijtas are apparently fab form 2 but Im not convinced. Ill post a pic when I can.
Mike

Th0mas
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 06:24 AM
According to posts from apistogramma.com, Farb Form III should be a true species. B&C has indicated they're bringing them in.

Thomas.

fishgeek
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 06:42 AM
bit blurry , though you can see female's have typical yellow of apisto's girls
males have a lot more colour on the neck and shoulder
both have colour in the tail

as to viejieta and macmasteri
like mentioned before mike know's his stuff
if any of you has the Datz book then even viejita I and macmasteria , plates 122 and 123 look so similar to my eye

they do come from the same area though some genetic studies have suggeted they are distinct species

Noddy65
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 07:15 AM
Wow...that male has a lot more colour than mine.

Mike

parkap
Wed Apr 05, 2006, 02:09 PM
I've got to try and get a photo of my weird female. I'm keen to see what you all think. Will try over the weekend.