PDA

View Full Version : Bug marking unread messages read.

Chris McMahon
Mon Jul 19, 2004, 11:23 AM
I've found that if I click on a link from a reply noteification email, there's a good chance the the entire forum will be marked "read" at the same time. Eg currently the forum shows no new messages in any area for me, but looking at the dates listed as the "last post" I can see there are replies I haven't read.

Proteus
Mon Jul 19, 2004, 02:03 PM
Chris, I have just noticed the same thing...

The only reason I came to this topic area is I was at work when you posted this, but it wasnt showing as unread... now that I notice it, either were 4-5 other topic areas...

We will look into it and let you know.

nicholas76
Wed Aug 11, 2004, 07:39 AM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5778#5778

just got an email regarding this post "Pictures of my pairs"

clicked on it and it said that the contents of this topic had been deleted

strange?

Proteus
Wed Aug 11, 2004, 09:13 AM
same here...

a reply post must have been moved or deleted...

Pyroman
Wed Aug 11, 2004, 01:11 PM
Exactly... unfortunately someone can delete their own post if nobody has posted under them. So that can happen sometimes.

Chris McMahon
Sat Aug 14, 2004, 06:36 AM
I'm getting a variation of this bug. When I logged on this afternoon, some 14 hours after my last visit, there were no new posts shown. Of course checking the "last post" info on each sub-forum I could see that there were in fact new posts.

Pyroman
Sat Aug 14, 2004, 06:39 AM
Do you have any firewall/agent that monitors/scrubbs/blocks cookies? Post views are tracked using cookies. So, if you've got something blocking them, that would cause what you're indicating.

HTH
- PDubya

Chris McMahon
Sat Aug 14, 2004, 06:48 AM
I do have a firewall, but I've had it for much longer that I've been experiening the problem (ie the last couple of weeks, not all the time either).

Pyroman
Sat Aug 14, 2004, 10:15 PM
Hmmm... well, that kinda throws that out the window eh? :P.

Just for grins, next time your ready to jump off the site, clear your cookies and then tell me the next time you log on if you still have the problem.

- PDubya

Chris McMahon
Sun Aug 15, 2004, 04:05 AM
The problem is that's it's not consistently repeatable. Today has been fine, as was yesterday. Nothing on my system has changed in the mean time.

Update:
It just happened again. I was reading through the General Discus sub-forum and closed the window. There were still several unread messages (a day's worth) in the other sub-forums.

I came back to the forum and all new messages were marked as read.

I deleted my cookie as you suggested, but that had no effect.

Proteus
Sun Aug 15, 2004, 01:48 PM
do you ever have the aquadotnetwork.com page active at all???

That will clear your unread posts.

Pyroman
Sun Aug 15, 2004, 03:45 PM
(only if you have both open at the same time)

Chris McMahon
Mon Aug 16, 2004, 01:43 AM
do you ever have the aquadotnetwork.com page active at all?No.

Just tried something. Opened site - noted unread messages. Closed browser. Opened site again 1 minute later - all unread messages are now market as read.

It looks like the site is using the last visit time to mark messages read - just like if I used the "Mark all forums read" link on the main page before closing the browser.

Chris McMahon
Mon Sep 20, 2004, 01:38 PM
Any chance of tracking this bug down? It's still happening.

Proteus
Mon Sep 20, 2004, 01:57 PM
we will look into it Chris...

there will be something here soon which will resolve this issue regardless of read/unread indicator... (posts since last visit feature, on steroids)

Chris McMahon
Mon Sep 20, 2004, 02:02 PM
we will look into it Chris...Thanks.

It happened to me again tonight, I googled a term from a post, forgot that the results opened in the same window, closed it, and all messages were marked as read when I opened a new browser window.

Chris McMahon
Wed Oct 20, 2004, 03:38 AM
we will look into it Chris...Making any headway?

It's been a month since your last reply and over two months since I reported the bug. The bug is the only thing spoiling an otherwise excellent forum.

Proteus
Wed Oct 20, 2004, 03:43 AM
It doesnt seem to occur with anybody else that we know about...

Pyro???

Pyroman
Wed Oct 20, 2004, 03:48 AM
I've tripple checked the session code, and I can't see how it would be occurring.

What is confusing is this:

I'm getting a variation of this bug. When I logged on this afternoon, some 14 hours after my last visit, there were no new posts shown. Of course checking the "last post" info on each sub-forum I could see that there were in fact new posts.

Due to the way that posts and the indicators are tagged, this should really not be possible in lieu of some caching going on. What browser were you using?

flukes
Wed Oct 20, 2004, 05:27 PM
It only happens too me if i open up the page in another I.E and enter a topic..

Lession learnt...

Chris McMahon
Thu Oct 21, 2004, 04:22 AM
What is confusing is this:

What I meant by that is the little discus icon to the left of a topic or forum, that turns orange when there's a new post to either a sub-forum or specific topic, resets whenever I close my browser window. The "last post" info I'm referring to is the text to the right of every forum that tells who made the last post and when.

Hence, if I get say 4 emails telling me that new posts have been made to 4 of my topics and I open each URL from the emails (thus having 4 open browser instances) if I reply to all of them, close each window after I make a post or read the reply, if I forget to keep at least one browser window open, and have to come back to the forum via a new browser instance, all messages will be marked as "read" exactly as if I'd clicked on "Mark all forums read" from the main browser page.

(Let me know if I haven't been clear in the above).

Due to the way that posts and the indicators are tagged, this should really not be possible in lieu of some caching going on. What browser were you using?I know Telstra Bigpond cable uses a proxy server that I can't do anything about, but I assume the problem would be more widespread than it is, if that was the cause.

I'm using IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803.2158. (In other words, IE 6.0 post SP2).

At a guess since I'm not having to constantly re-logon, I'd assume my logon detail in the cookie are being read ok. I can also assume that the pointer to the last read message isn't be stored in the same cookie, or is being set to expire when the browser is closed.

It only happens too me if i open up the page in another I.E and enter a topic..Are you closing the first window? Or do you have two open at once?

Pyroman
Thu Oct 21, 2004, 01:26 PM
Hence, if I get say 4 emails telling me that new posts have been made to 4 of my topics and I open each URL from the emails (thus having 4 open browser instances) if I reply to all of them, close each window after I make a post or read the reply, if I forget to keep at least one browser window open, and have to come back to the forum via a new browser instance, all messages will be marked as "read" exactly as if I'd clicked on "Mark all forums read" from the main browser page.

Aaah, ok... now we're getting somewhere. What you are describing is an inherent functionality within phpBB, and is quite intentional. This is one of the downfalls of notifications, is that it makes it rather easy to unintentionally wipe out your session cookie.

if I forget to keep at least one browser window open

Really that's the key. If you close the windows, and re-open a new one, basically what youa re doing is re-logging into the forum, and the 'last post' refereces get reset. This isn't specific to just our forum(s)... it will happen with any phpBB-based forum.

Proteus
Thu Oct 21, 2004, 01:28 PM
Thats probably why it doesnt happen all the time...

I must ask though,why open the 4 emails into different browsers???

Chris McMahon
Thu Oct 21, 2004, 02:55 PM
I must ask though,why open the 4 emails into different browsers???Because that's how IE reacts to clicking on a URL embedded in the reply notification. If I did one at a time, the result would still be the same, in fact it would reset me faster as when I close the first thread window, I'd be reset.

Aaah, ok... now we're getting somewhere. What you are describing is an inherent functionality within phpBB, and is quite intentional. This is one of the downfalls of notifications, is that it makes it rather easy to unintentionally wipe out your session cookie. Seems like it's deliberately shooting itself in the foot. How then to I reply to 2 or more new thread notifications without resetting the session cookie? Shouldn't this cookie be a permanent cookie, not just a single session one?

Really that's the key. If you close the windows, and re-open a new one, basically what youa re doing is re-logging into the forum, and the 'last post' refereces get reset.So this happens to everyone? So for example if there are 20 unread messages in the entire forum and I close the browser window (or more likely I click a link from a post and forget that before XYZ.COM the browser was the discusforums forum, or I google a term and forget to hold down shift to display the results in a new session) and open a new one 5 seconds later, all messages are meant to be marked as read across the whole forum, whether I read them or not? (In effect the same as click "Mark all forums read" on the main forum page).

Proteus
Fri Oct 22, 2004, 02:16 AM
So this happens to everyone?

Thats the strange part... No it doesnt...

with the number of topic notifications I get I would be thinking why hasnt it occurred on my PC? as to the answer, I honestly dont know.

:?

Pyroman
Fri Oct 22, 2004, 04:41 AM
As long as you keep one browser open, it should be fine. I know it's silly, but no modern forum has persistent sessions that I'm aware of.

Chris McMahon
Fri Oct 22, 2004, 09:13 AM
As long as you keep one browser open, it should be fine. I know it's silly, but no modern forum has persistent sessions that I'm aware of.Off the top of my head, none of the other forums I visit; Overclockers.com.au (http://forums.overclockers.com.au) (vBulletin Version 3.0.3) SimplyDiscus (http://www.simplydiscus.com/forum/) (YaBB SE) Queensland Cichlid (http://p089.ezboard.com/bqldchiclids)(ezboardŽ Ver. 7.31w) Boronia Aquarium (http://p088.ezboard.com/bboroniaaquariuminteractivepages) (ezboardŽ Ver. 7.31w) have the problem. I come and go and they all remember which topics I've read and which I haven't.

There's probably a dozen or more others that I my only visit once every few weeks, but it seems this is the only forum I get the problem. I can't remember if this is the only phpBB based forum or not.

While I can try to keep the first open window open, sometimes it's not possible. Perhaps you could mention the problem on a phpBB support board (if you're a member of one) and see if anyone else has any ideas?

Pyroman
Fri Oct 22, 2004, 03:46 PM
Actually I already have. When I first converted an old forum to phpBB from the file-based version of YaBB, that was the first thing I asked. YaBB would actually remember if you've read a thread even if you logged out and didn't visit the site again for a week. But, for the very reason it had the nice feature, was the very reason we had to stop using the platform. It beat the server so hard, it cried for mercy.

I'm sorry your having such a time with the topic indicators, I imagine it's pretty frustrating for you. Unfortunately, you aren't alone. Which is why one of the things I added on the main page was the 'posts since' functionality.

*supposedly* some better session management is being used in phpBB 2.2, but they are still in mid-stage development so things change constantly.

I know vBulletin doesn't have persistent sessions, and I'm not familiar with the inner-workings of ezboard (as they are a service provider only). I know I've had the same behavior that I have with phpBB that occurrs with vBulletin.

The problem is, phpBB assumes that when your session is cleared (by logging off, closing browser, etc) that the previous topics were not important enough to read, and it flushes them all. The side-effect is, what you are experiencing, where you are viewing topics via notifications and when you close the window, your session is ending, and the topics are cleared.

What I can do, is alter the session process to use a client-side cookie for all the topics, but this will require people to manually clear topics they haven't read in lieu of the current way of automatically clearing each time they visit the site. Would you be willing to test something like this for awhile and see how it works for you?

Chris McMahon
Sat Oct 23, 2004, 04:43 AM
What I can do, is alter the session process to use a client-side cookie for all the topics, but this will require people to manually clear topics they haven't read in lieu of the current way of automatically clearing each time they visit the site. Would you be willing to test something like this for awhile and see how it works for you?Absolutely. That's how I use forums normally, and is my preferred way of reading a forum.

Chris McMahon
Tue Nov 02, 2004, 01:43 PM
What I can do, is alter the session process to use a client-side cookie for all the topics, but this will require people to manually clear topics they haven't read in lieu of the current way of automatically clearing each time they visit the site. Would you be willing to test something like this for awhile and see how it works for you?Absolutely. That's how I use forums normally, and is my preferred way of reading a forum.I assume you haven't had a chance to implement the above yet as I'm still getting the auto-markread thing happening.

Proteus
Tue Nov 02, 2004, 01:47 PM
I am thinking with the amount of side projects we are preparing for you guys (& gals) he probably hasnt got it happennin yet...

I am sure he will see this and let you know what is goin on...

sorry bout the inconvenience caused

Chris McMahon
Tue Nov 02, 2004, 01:49 PM
No problem. Just checking that "the switch" hadn't be flipped and I didn't notice.