PDA

View Full Version : how to use peat

Nathan
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 11:35 AM
hey my ph is always a little to high usualy around 7.2-7.4 and wanting it around 6.8. ive tried kh powder an it seems to bring it 7 then the next day its up again. ive heard a lot of good things about peat and i wish to use it, however i just dont know much about it except it lowers your ph.

could anyone lend some info?
nathan

sharn
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 11:54 AM
i say dont bother unless you want to breed. 7.2-7.4 is fine. i think you just add the peat into a stocking and put it in your filter or make tea out of it. im sure other members will add more info

im not too up on my kh stuff but it seems wierd it would lower it to 7 then have it rise again cause kh is the measure of carbonate and bicarbonate ions (i think thats right lol) which keep your ph stabilised..

wickedglass
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 12:15 PM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6477

this link has a discussion on peat and how to use it, check it out

FishLover
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 02:58 AM
I used to use peat. Not any more.

Peat is weak and slow in terms of reducing PH. You need in most case one day or so to do the job. I bought one of the cheap cannister filters and fill the media with peat. I fill the container with hot water and run the filter for about 6 to 7 hours. Just about to coll the water to my tank temp. That way the PH stays the same after the treatement. It is not cheap and the water is tea color with some small floating stuff. I hate it but did not knwo what to do.

That is till I tried the Discus Buffer. It helps me to lower the ph to 6.85 and stays there. Some people don't like it because your algae may get out of control. I installed a UV unit to do the job.

Mind you, my water comes out of tap at 7.5, then it shoot up to 8.3 after 24 hours. That's the problem I face because every time I change water, the PH goes up and down within 24 hours. Unless I want to age my water for 24 hours, I have to do something. Aging water is out of the question because I have a small kid in the house. The idea of having 40 g container filled with water and a small kid does not add up.

I agree with everyone here, if I have PH at your level, I would not bother to adjust it unless I want to breed them.

Ben
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 04:10 AM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4460&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=bomb&&start=0

Using peat, the "bomb" idea works well.

These days i use sodium biphosphate and/or catappa leaves.

sodium biphosphate works well just have to watch the phosphate levels as this can cause and algae bloom.

There are buffers that can be bought that contain no phosphates at all.

Ben

rytis
Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:58 AM
hey my ph is always a little to high usualy around 7.2-7.4 and wanting it around 6.8. ive tried kh powder an it seems to bring it 7 then the next day its up again. ive heard a lot of good things about peat and i wish to use it, however i just dont know much about it except it lowers your ph.

could anyone lend some info?
nathan
i put peat in half bottom of pots (also some red clay for iron) and gravel on top, great for both plants and discus...

k9outfit
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 02:10 AM
I took a 15 litre pail, cut a hole in the lid, then screened the hole, to make an old fashioned "floss filter" type contraption. I stuffed the pail full of fiberfill, sandwiching some peat in the centre of the fiberfill. The water's drawn in, and through the media with an airstone. It's immersed in a large food-grade barrel that I'm aging & heating water in. I'm using plain ol' sphagnum peat from the gardening section of a large chain; 107 litres for ~$8.00... and tested the water on some poor unsuspecting (cheap) fish 1st.... just in case.

I tried a different brand of peat, but that one didn't budge the pH; this one dropped it like a rock: 6.2 from 7.8 in ~48 hours.

hoya933
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 06:26 PM
I put peat (maybe too much) in my filter and my tank has been tea colored for the past week. I know what its used for, but maybe I'm using it too early. I have 3 juvies in the tank so I know that they should'nt need the extra soft water just yet. I have taken the peat out, now what should I do. Wait for the water to clear or do some water changes to help it clear faster? I know better than to use carbon, just want a fast way to get my water clear....any ideas?? :?:

hoya933
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 07:44 PM
Guess I'll answer my own question!! I basically changed the water every 2 days until all the paet coloring was removed. Thanks all!! :roll: