PDA

View Full Version : plants growing with holes

Nathan
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 03:09 AM
my plants for some reason are starting to grow with holes in the leaves, im not really sure what its from, i use seachem flourish once a week, it just looks like holes theres no discolouration or anything.

nathan

OscarManAlpha
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 07:40 AM
Hi Nathan,

If possible could you provide a photo of the plant leaves.

That will help to answer your question.

As sometimes it can be due to a lack of some nutrient but that seems unlikely as you are adding flourish.

Except if you are reffereing to sword type plants which are heavy root feeders.

Is there any yellowing on the leaves ?

Do you have any clown loaches in your aquarium ?

Cheers,

Mark

Nathan
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 11:19 AM
ill try ang psot some pics on sunday. no they just have holes in them no yellow or anything. there are some holes in the amazon sword leaves aswel as some on another plant but i cant remember what its called. and yes i have 2 clown loaches in the tank.

nathan

OscarManAlpha
Fri Mar 31, 2006, 02:31 PM
I had holes in my sword plant leaves and couldn't work out why.

( the poor snails got blamed for nothing :lol: )

Finally after much surfing of the net I came across an article which suggested Clown Loach's rasp on the plants leaves.

I had the benefit of more than 1 tank and I removed the clowns and the holes stopped forming.

It may very well just have been coincidence, but I don't keep clowns in my planted tanks anymore. ( but I have some clowns in other tanks. I like them just not near my plants :D )

HTH

Cheers,

Mark

Sime76
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 12:59 AM
I would say it could be a Potassium deficiency. I have found this info a few times while researching and have found this with my own tank.

duck
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 01:26 AM
While it could be a potassium def,I have heard of clowns having a nibble aswell.

Nathan
Sat Apr 01, 2006, 06:49 AM
yeah i just putt he two in about a week or so ago and the holes hadnt been there before. thanx guys.

nathan