PDA

View Full Version : Making the big move ?

Dee
Fri Jul 16, 2004, 02:35 PM
Hi All,

Im about to move house and have decided to upgrade my tank to a 4x2x2 :D :) :D

What's the best way to transfer a established filter (eheim 2217) from one tank to the other ? how long can i turn the filter off for ,before i do any damage to the bio colony?

Regarding heating i currently have 2 x 200w tronic heaters, will that be enough heating for a 450L tank ? if not should i just add another 200w heater? making 3 in total.

I also want to get some peppermint pleco's and some cory's as a clean up crew. What kind of numbers do pleco's and cory's best live with discus ? any issues with discus temps ?

any more info or tips on transfering from one tank to the other would be most appreciated, thanks to all ... :D

flukes
Sat Jul 17, 2004, 01:02 AM
With the filter, i just be keeping water in the actual canister. It only need water and it can survive for atleast a week. I think you might need another heater aswell.
With peppermints and corys (good choice) i would have say 3 pleco's and 2 corys, you would be suprised how much work 1 cory will do.

Proteus
Sat Jul 17, 2004, 01:03 AM
in regards to maintaining the bio load in the filter, place it in a tub/bucket of tank water, and move it in that.

If you can get a tub/bucket big enough, whilst you are setting up the tank, run the filter in the tub so you should have no loss of good bacteria...

HTH

Dee
Sat Jul 17, 2004, 03:29 AM
Hi Flukes and Proteus,

Thanks for the replys, doesnt sound like ill do too much damage transfering the filter between tanks ! :D :D :D

Hey flukes know of any good aquariums in melb to get the peppermint pleco's and cory's ??? also what type of cory's would you suggest ?

once again thanks for the reply's :)

Cheers

flukes
Sat Jul 17, 2004, 06:12 AM
I have albino but i like all cory's wouldnt mind some panda or sterbia.
My peppermints i got for $20 each at the VCS auctions. But i know the cheapest LFS for pepps is Heinz for $38.
Other wise i can put you contact with someone who sells them, for about $25-$30

Dee
Sat Jul 17, 2004, 09:22 AM
Hi Flukes,

Thanks for the info. I looked in the Yellow Pages, couldnt find Heinz LFS. The other thing i wanted to ask was ...... When i transfer the filter to the other tank, how long will the discus be ok without a filter on the tank they are currently in. They will be in the tank minus filter for around 5 - 6 hours max, i assume this is ok but thought id ask anyway.

Thanks Again :D

flukes
Sat Jul 17, 2004, 11:47 AM
Hahahah thanks, Heinz isnt the shop name it is the name of the owner i think it is called "All aqaurium & Pet supplies" he is in Dunoon crt just of police road in mulgrave, just off the princess highway. I like too call him the fish natzi, he is sometimes rude but he knows his fish. His discus arnt the best but thats because he doesnt have a big demand for them so he doesnt spend the money for quality. There is a nice sunrise in there if you have a look.
You should be right with the filter for that time, i turned my filter off too do a water change and forgot too turn it back on, 2 days later i wondered why the water was so cloudy...opps

Dee
Tue Jul 20, 2004, 09:03 AM
Hahaha ooops! :oops:

Ill give that a go hehe ...

Thanks for the info Flukes :)

flukes
Tue Jul 20, 2004, 04:26 PM
Here are some people to contact for the pepps.

nick - mysammy - avit6410@bigpond.net.au Thomastown (has some currently)

Mysterious Redsuns (john) johnly81@hotmail.com - (Not sure if has some currently) Also has some 5cm Leopard Frog Plecos (peckoltia sp. 134) if he still has them, for $800 if your a catfiah lover...(i know iam) and wouldnt mind them either :cry:

There is another guy, but i cant find his email, ask MR (john) if he doesnt have any too put you in contact with boots'n'all or someone who does have some for sale atm.

Dee
Wed Jul 21, 2004, 02:42 PM
Hey Flukes.

Thanks for all the contacts !! :) i will chase them up next week, after i have set up the 4x2x2 tank. Im thinking of stocking the tank as follows -

12 x Cardinals
12 x Rumy Nose
3 x Peppermint Pleco
3 x Panda or Spotted Cory
8 x Discus (Already have 4 Juvi)
Lightly Planted (Swords & Anubias)
3mm Gravel
Various Drift Wood

Basicly upscaling what i have now (200L 4ft) ... does that sound realistic, stock wise ?

Also wanted to ask, how good are peppermint pleco's at keeping a handle on algea ? I seem to be always battling algea (mainly on plants), i guess its due to the heavy feeding the little guys get.

Once again thanks for all the info Flukes !! :)

Cheers

flukes
Wed Jul 21, 2004, 02:49 PM
Thats cool, seems when you dont want them they are everywhere and when you do they are no where too be found.
I also have another lady who basically has stock all the time, but i cant post her details so if your intrested pm or email me.
flukes@optusnet.com.au

Cheers
Scott