PDA

View Full Version : Help?

newdiscuss
Tue Mar 28, 2006, 11:26 PM
Hi Everyone,

After much soul searching, I've decided to find my gold fish a new home & purchase a pair of discus for my tank. (it's hexagonal 40cm across & 50cm deep, holding about 100 litres).

The way the aquarium guy chatted to me, so long as I change 15% of the water a couple of times a week, remember to feed them & keep water temp at 30 deg C I should be O.K.

Have I been sold up the garden path or am I in for an amazing experience?

discus000
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:45 AM
How big are your discus?.

I personally prefer a tank with a rectangular shape (more swimming area) they would probably be more happier in that type of tank.

HTH.

sammigold
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 01:28 AM
you may also find they do better with at least three discus together as they are a schooling fish...

I also agree that a rectangular tank would be more suitable... but see how you go! good luck...

RichVic
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 02:15 AM
Hi there,
I'm a newbie too and thought I'd mention the things nobody mentioned to me which proved essential. Buy some water test kits - Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate Chlorine (for Tap water) and Ph tester of some kind. Find out what Ph & temp they're used too. Same for foods they like & Quantity. The water should be tested daily and results noted. It won't work to do waterchange 15% x 2 week blindly. Change as much as you need to in order to keep the Ammonia, Nitrite @ Zero & Nitrates under 10. It may seem obvious, but when changing water add it at tank temperature and Ph. You may wish to give them a worm treatment or other preventative med's by way of ensuring they're off to a healthy start in their new home. HTH Vicki

wickedglass
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 08:08 AM
you may also find they do better with at least three discus together as they are a schooling fish...

I also agree that a rectangular tank would be more suitable... but see how you go! good luck...

It's debatable wether they're a schooling fish or not. Some well known discus breeders like Jack Wattley argue they can be kept quite happily, singly, in a tank of their own. Ditherfish are recommended. However they ARE a fish that may, and often do, aggregate in the wild, but they don't display the behaviour of normal schooling fish like neon tetras for example.
Also as a general rule of thumb most breeders would recommend a minimum of 10 gallons of water per adult discus and a horizontal tank.

G-1000
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 11:30 AM
Newdiscuss,

Do NOT put discus into a hexagonal tank - i.e one of the A5 cabinets.

If you manage to grow them up - you will be able to have a maximum of 3 at the most and even then you would need frequent w/c.

Discus do best in a rectangular tank with fairly large dimensions - minimum group size of around 5 or 6.

I have used a hex tank a while ago - I had a pair that layed eggs and two juvis. Suffice to say - the juvis got smashed by the overprotective pair. The hex tanks are simply not big enough

G

discus000
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 11:37 AM
How big are your discus?.

I personally prefer a tank with a rectangular shape (more swimming area) they would probably be more happier in that type of tank.

HTH.

It's debatable wether they're a schooling fish or not. Some well known discus breeders like Jack Wattley argue they can be kept quite happily, singly, in a tank of their own. Ditherfish are recommended. However they ARE a fish that may, and often do, aggregate in the wild, but they don't display the behaviour of normal schooling fish like neon tetras for example.
Also as a general rule of thumb most breeders would recommend a minimum of 10 gallons of water per adult discus and a horizontal tank.

I never mentioned about it being a schooling fish .
All i mentioned was the shape of the tank Wicked glass.

wickedglass
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 03:25 PM
I know, but sammigold mentioned schooling, I accidentally quoted the wrong post, sorry about that.

sammigold
Thu Mar 30, 2006, 12:49 AM
Sorry if I used the wrong word to describe :) but I have noticed from my own experience that my discus dont like to be alone... they like to have mates.. I know they dont school like tetras but I have seen photos of Discus in large groups sticking together as if schooling.... it is a beautiful sight..

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 30, 2006, 03:56 PM
Hello newdiscuss and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Discus are happy in any shaped tank. The normal shape is rectangular, but I have discus pairs in tanks 18 x 18 x 18 and they cope and breed readily.

Discus prefer to hang in the water, so don't necessarily need room to swim up and down a tank. What they do need is clean water, and lots of it, good food, and warmth.

Now, you can provide all of that with your existing tank. I'd suggest you start with three juveniles of any colour that takes your eye. Either three all the same colour, or three different colours, the choice is yours.

After thirty years breeding discus, I find that they do much better in groups. One discus on it's own is a very sad sight. Two tend to fight for dominance of the tank, but three seems to work well.

As they mature, you may find that two of them will pair off, and then you will need to look for a new home for the third. Or you may find that they all live happily together.

I'd suggest you start with a bare bottom tank (no gravel or sand) with an attractive piece of driftwood with perhaps a few anuabias or java fern attached. You'll be able to see just how often your tank needs to be cleaned, and that will keep your fish healthy.

Water changes are an essential part of discus keeping. You'll be doing water changes of around 30 litres, at least every second day, so you need to work out how you're going manage that. Warm water holds less oxygen than cooler water so good filtration and an airstone are necessary to increase the oxygen levels in the water.

Read through some of the posts on this forum, and you'll find lots of information on setting up your tank. Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We have a lot of wonderful members here who are only too willing to share their knowledge and experiences with you.

Welcome to the wonderful world of discus, and prepare yourself for an exciting journey. :P