PDA

View Full Version : Dicrossus filamentosus

bennyng
Tue Mar 28, 2006, 06:01 AM
Hi guys,

South American Dwarf Cichlids includes various other genus as well as Apistogramma, which somehow managed to overshadow the rest of these beauties.

There's one of a Dicrossus filamentosus, or better known as checkerboard cichlid.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/gallery/files/5/4/2/WZ4R7674ER_438006.jpg

I just love the iridescence on the fins.

Cheers,

fishgeek
Tue Mar 28, 2006, 07:36 AM
awesome photo benny

Proteus
Tue Mar 28, 2006, 09:20 AM
Now that picture is spectacular

Sime76
Tue Mar 28, 2006, 09:47 AM
Yeah those fins look fantastic!

They are great fish too. Very enjoyable to watch especially when they are flaring up at each other. Unfortunately my couple died.

parkap
Tue Mar 28, 2006, 10:24 AM
Benny, you're photos really are just amazing.

Do you clean them up or filter them at all through any photo software? It looks like in a few you've at least blackened the background.

Peter.

parkap
Tue Mar 28, 2006, 10:26 AM
Benny and Sime, do these little guys have the same [general] water parameter requirements as the apistogramma's, ie.soft, acidic?

Th0mas
Tue Mar 28, 2006, 11:21 AM
P,

The filamentosa prefers very soft and acidic - and as soon as something is wrong with the water, they'll be the first to know (as the fish will die quickly).

They're less tolerance than discus in my opinion.

Thomas.

Reillin
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 12:00 PM
You would probably have more success with more sensitive fish in a bigger aquarium tank. Unless you are meticulous in keeping nitrates to a minimum, a bigger tank will provide more stability.

I have yet to try these guys out, but Heinz usually stock them on occassions, so I'll be on the watchout for them.

Cheers,
Vien.

Th0mas
Thu Apr 06, 2006, 01:05 PM
Don't know if this is true or not, but was informed the bacteria involve with the nitrogen cycle won't be around at such low pH. Hence there will be minimal nitrate/nitrite in the tank.

So all fish waste matter will remains as ammonium, water changes and heavy planting would be the way to keep the waste level down.

Not sure if this is really the case, but some of my tanks that are running at really low pH are heavily planted and never had any major problem.

Thomas.

Robdog
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 04:01 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any experience breeding these beautiful little guys? Either the Fila's or the Mac's

I have a pair atm and my male seems more interested in displaying at his reflection than the increasingly plump female he has got with him. I'm sure he'll wise up soon.

Namn8r
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 11:58 AM
They spawn on plant leaves which the female will select. The male will take on his spawning colours and hover over various leaves while wagging his tail. When ready to spawn the females take on a black horizontal band along the body. It seems to take a lot to condition the females properly, they may get plump but Im not sure what it is that may trigger the spawning colours to come on and spawning to actuallly take place? Perhaps water changes with soft water? They are extremely agressive when spawning, and the males will take on fish many times there own size such as full grown discus

Namn8r
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 12:02 PM
Best to keep them in a harem with multiple females as my male harrassed the female so much that she couldnt feed. I had to net him out until she was ready to spawn again

Th0mas
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 12:52 PM
That's strange - in my past experience with filamentosa spawn - the pair never had any chance with guarding their egg against other tankmates (with different pairs over time). Once a pair was spawning at the same time as the corydora aenues - and as soon as the spawning female lost her batch, she immediately takes over in guarding a clutch of corydora eggs stucked near the corner of the tank (and of course those egg didn't last either).

Thomas.

Robdog
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 01:20 PM
I think I'm at the stage where I have to split them up for a while. I think he's starting to bug the shit out of her. Just my luck, I'm going away 2moro and don't hve time.

Th0mas
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 01:33 PM
Time?? There's still a good few hours before daylight :lol:

Thomas.

Robdog
Sat Sep 02, 2006, 12:53 AM
Well I got home yesterday and seperated them finally. Unfortunately it will be a permanent seperation as he was lying dead on the bottom. :cry: Back to the drawing board I guess. Or back to the lfs at least. :roll:

Th0mas
Sat Sep 02, 2006, 04:01 AM
Sorry to hear of your losses - this species is very sensitive to poor water so don't feel too bad about it as you've been away.

Thomas.

Robdog
Sun Sep 03, 2006, 12:54 AM
Yeah I checked the ph when I got back and it had crept up to just over 7. The female seems to be ok with it all. It's just her boyfriends that keep dropping off.

Namn8r
Sun Sep 03, 2006, 11:41 AM
Dont know thomas, when I had my checker boards in breeding they had 2/3rds of my community tank with 4 big discus, cockatoos, rams, tetras all in the other 3rd

k0b0i
Sun Sep 03, 2006, 10:42 PM
They had a few dicros at BNC when i went by on Sat.

If your looking for replacements... :( ... Maybe you should have 2 girls and 1 guy... he may try his hardest to stick around then... ehehe

Robdog
Wed Sep 20, 2006, 01:04 PM
I have a pair atm and my male seems more interested in displaying at his reflection than the increasingly plump female he has got with him. I'm sure he'll wise up soon.

And then there were eggs! Only found them about 10 minutes ago and I think the whole process is still being carried out. I'll try and get some pics