PDA

View Full Version : Albino discus

happydiscus
Tue Jul 13, 2004, 09:59 AM
how expensive are albino discus and can u get them in sydney

flukes
Tue Jul 13, 2004, 05:40 PM
Thats not an albino, ill try get some pics. You could pick those up for about $70-$80 got 6-7cm for a rough guess. The discus in the picture is actualy what i was after, found some sort of the same, will share with you's soon.

I'll try get a pic of an albino

Mattzilla
Wed Jul 14, 2004, 01:40 AM
albino pics

flukes
Wed Jul 14, 2004, 01:55 AM
Thanks Matt, can never find them when iam looking for them...

sunshinediscus
Wed Jul 14, 2004, 03:03 AM
Heres a pic of an albino similar to the first one but showing the red iris much better

sunshinediscus
Wed Jul 14, 2004, 03:08 AM
I can get albino discus but have not imported them yet due to the hideous prices, but i am importing some albino carriers very soon. They are albino X pure golden but they will produce a good percentage of albinos in the first inbred generation. They will be special order only and are prob only going to suit a serious breeder as the fish will essentially look like brown discus.

heres an albino snakeskin.

AdelaideAnt
Thu Jul 15, 2004, 01:25 AM
From what i hear, albinos are extremely sensative. Anyone who gets these fish should be prepaired for some extra time, money and effort to care for them.

Anthony

sunshinediscus
Thu Jul 15, 2004, 08:55 AM
Hi Anthony,

Yeah i've heard the same about some albino strains of discus before, actually albino's have been about since the 70's but the strains were all lost eventually due to the reasons you outlined....but that is not the case with the current crop of albino's being bred in Singapore. Breeders have reported that they are hardy and not that difficult to maintain. Anyone who is a commited hobbiest and keeps the discus well won't have any extra problems. I guess if the hobbiest is lazy then they are not for them but most discus keepers are not that way and realize they need more care than average aquarium fish.

AdelaideAnt
Thu Jul 15, 2004, 11:33 PM
Awesome stuff, sounds promising. They certainly are awesome looking fish and I would love to see them spread throughout Aus.

Anthony