PDA

View Full Version : People not showing there faces

Crocky
Wed Mar 22, 2006, 06:43 AM
Hi all

I have notice when logging in that there alot of member,logging in as hidden member.Why are members doing this I find this quite funning that people don't want other to know there on line.Just now I see 7 registered 5 hidden and 12 guest is there some bad blood going around or something.
Not having ago at anyone but I find this strange as its only a fish forum.

Brad.c

Proteus
Wed Mar 22, 2006, 07:04 AM
You will find that some Advisors & most admins set there profile to hidden as whenever we are known to be online, the PM's etc start to flow in (I already get 10+ PM's a day over various things).

As for why other members do this, that is personal preference. I don't think it has anything to do with bad blood, however as has been done on other forums, the setting can be disabled so everyone is visible.

Crocky
Wed Mar 22, 2006, 07:24 AM
I thought as much,but an advisor being hidden is strange,maybe there should be 2 type eg (open advisor) meaning they are prepared to answer forum posting and pm,or a standard forum advisor which will pm you if they think they need to but won't reply to pm sent.

Brad

Proteus
Wed Mar 22, 2006, 07:31 AM
We must keep in mind this is a forum, not a private advice platform. PM's should only be used for what they are intended for, private communications not relating to general topics on the forums. If there is a fish health issue it should be posted for several people to try and answer, instead of putting a lot of pressure on one person to give the correct advice.

As it stands, most Advisors here are always visible so it shouldnt be an issue. In regards to admins, please remember aside from posting as a regular member we have other duties that need to be done, (removing spam, inappropriate user accounts, reviewing content etc etc) so being visible and then getting the usual stream of PM's is not advantagious at all.

Crocky
Wed Mar 22, 2006, 07:50 AM
I understand about the admin side of thing and I think every thing your said about the advisor and pm's I will have to agree with.

Thanks for the quick replies Proteus and keep up the work.

Brad.c

Ben
Sun Mar 26, 2006, 10:03 AM
I just sent you a PM Brad! LOL

Sometimes I have myself as hidden as I might leave the computer on for 14 hours in one day and a window open with the discus forum on. This then looks like I am on the forum but might actually be away.

Interesting observation though.

Cheers
Ben