PDA

View Full Version : Black Worm Cultures

flukes
Mon Jul 12, 2004, 03:38 AM
Was reading a few different pages on black worm cultures, was wondering if anyone has tried this?
I am thinking about giving it a go but i want to make sure iam not going to all the effort for a extra 2 or 3 worms. So i was wondering under the right treatment what is the reproduction rate like??

Also anyone else have any other live cultures that are good for discus? I havent set up the BS hatchery yet as i am waiting till i have fry or younger discus.

Need a new source of food for my fish and i figured home grown is the way too go.

Cheers
Scott

DiscusMad
Thu Jul 15, 2004, 02:21 PM
I use to have them breading in the gravel in my tank untill I introduced a spiny eel

DiscusMad
Thu Jul 15, 2004, 02:22 PM
the discus would follow the vac when cleaning the gravel each time looking for worms I'd dig up lol

Mattzilla
Thu Jul 15, 2004, 03:30 PM
i have found that live black worms are very risky. you have to get them from a very reliable source. they carry parasites and other nasties that discus cannot handle very well.

i have lost a few discus in the past that i can put down to feeding live plackworms. your discus will love them and if they are super clean your discus will grow really well. but as far as i am concerened they are too risky. my discus are too valiable to me to risk with some thing like black worms.

jmho

matt